red enchilada sauce $0.80 batch
Enchilada sauce is one of my very favorite things, ever. I love when it soaks into a flour tortilla while baking and makes everything tangy and spicy and good. Mmmmm.
Unfortunately, I was less than impressed with the last can of enchilada sauce that I bought and my local grocery store doesn't have much of a selection. So, I thought it was high time that I made some myself.
I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner.
It literally takes about 5 minutes, uses ingredients that I always have on hand, and tastes about a million times better than that sad can that I used the other day. Plus, I made twice the volume for half the price. I'll never go back to the can. Never.
I made a vegetarian version out of sheer laziness, but if you're a carnivore try using chicken broth in place of the water for more flavor oomph (I've had a cold and apparently, mixing chicken base into hot water to make broth just takes too much energy).
You can adjust the heat by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper. The heat comes from the cayenne pepper, not the chili powder, which is generally mild. So, if you want the sauce mild, either leave out the cayenne or use less. I used 1/4 tsp and it only had a slight kick - kind of like medium salsa.
Now on to the good stuff!
Total Recipe cost: $0.80
Recipe Yield: 2 cups
Prep time: 0 min. Cook time: 5-10 min. Total: 5-10 min.
STEP 1: Add the vegetable oil, flour, and chili powder to a medium pot. Turn the heat on to medium and whisk the ingredients together. Continue to whisk as the mixture begins to bubble. Whisk and cook the mixture for one minute once it begins bubbling.
STEP 2: After one minute, whisk in the water, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper until smooth. Allow the sauce to come up to a simmer. Once it reaches a simmer it will begin to thicken slightly.
STEP 3: Starting with a 1/2 teaspoon, add salt to taste. I used about 3/4 teaspoon total. The sauce is now ready to use!
Enchilada sauce can be poured over enchiladas, burritos, stuffed poblanos, or used in casseroles for extra flavor.
Start by adding the vegetable oil, flour, and chili powder to a pot.
I just used your basic, average, run of the mill chili powder. Chili powder is generally not spicy, just flavorful, so don't be frightened by the large quantity in the recipe. All of the heat comes from the cayenne pepper.
Whisk these ingredients together and allow them to come up to a bubble over medium heat, whisking the whole time. Whisk and cook for one minute. This will toast the flour and chili powder, adding to the flavor depth and making sure that the flour doesn't taste like paste.
After one minute, whisk in the water and 3 oz. of tomato paste - that's half of one of these little 6 ounce cans. Don't let the rest of your tomato paste go to waste, I always freeze mine in a little zip lock bag.
Also add the spices - cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
Let the sauce come up to a simmer and it will begin to thicken. See how it coats my spoon? Perfect. Now taste it and add salt to your liking. Start with about 1/2 teaspoon and add more if needed. The salt will really help bring out the flavors. If you're using chicken broth, you might not need to add any at all.
And now you're good to go! Enjoy!
Unfortunately, I was less than impressed with the last can of enchilada sauce that I bought and my local grocery store doesn't have much of a selection. So, I thought it was high time that I made some myself.
I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner.
It literally takes about 5 minutes, uses ingredients that I always have on hand, and tastes about a million times better than that sad can that I used the other day. Plus, I made twice the volume for half the price. I'll never go back to the can. Never.
I made a vegetarian version out of sheer laziness, but if you're a carnivore try using chicken broth in place of the water for more flavor oomph (I've had a cold and apparently, mixing chicken base into hot water to make broth just takes too much energy).
You can adjust the heat by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper. The heat comes from the cayenne pepper, not the chili powder, which is generally mild. So, if you want the sauce mild, either leave out the cayenne or use less. I used 1/4 tsp and it only had a slight kick - kind of like medium salsa.
Now on to the good stuff!
Red Enchilada Sauce
Total Recipe cost: $0.80
Recipe Yield: 2 cups
Prep time: 0 min. Cook time: 5-10 min. Total: 5-10 min.
| INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 2 Tbsp | vegetable oil | $0.10 |
| 2 Tbsp | all-purpose flour | $0.02 |
| 2 Tbsp | chili powder | $0.30 |
| 2 cups | water | $0.00 |
| 3 oz. | tomato paste | $0.27 |
| 1/2 tsp | cumin | $0.03 |
| 1/2 tsp | garlic powder | $0.03 |
| 1/4 tsp | cayenne pepper | $0.02 |
| 3/4 tsp | salt | $0.03 |
| TOTAL | $0.80 | |
STEP 1: Add the vegetable oil, flour, and chili powder to a medium pot. Turn the heat on to medium and whisk the ingredients together. Continue to whisk as the mixture begins to bubble. Whisk and cook the mixture for one minute once it begins bubbling.
STEP 2: After one minute, whisk in the water, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper until smooth. Allow the sauce to come up to a simmer. Once it reaches a simmer it will begin to thicken slightly.
STEP 3: Starting with a 1/2 teaspoon, add salt to taste. I used about 3/4 teaspoon total. The sauce is now ready to use!
Enchilada sauce can be poured over enchiladas, burritos, stuffed poblanos, or used in casseroles for extra flavor.
Step By Step Photos
Start by adding the vegetable oil, flour, and chili powder to a pot.
I just used your basic, average, run of the mill chili powder. Chili powder is generally not spicy, just flavorful, so don't be frightened by the large quantity in the recipe. All of the heat comes from the cayenne pepper.
Whisk these ingredients together and allow them to come up to a bubble over medium heat, whisking the whole time. Whisk and cook for one minute. This will toast the flour and chili powder, adding to the flavor depth and making sure that the flour doesn't taste like paste.
After one minute, whisk in the water and 3 oz. of tomato paste - that's half of one of these little 6 ounce cans. Don't let the rest of your tomato paste go to waste, I always freeze mine in a little zip lock bag.
Also add the spices - cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
Let the sauce come up to a simmer and it will begin to thicken. See how it coats my spoon? Perfect. Now taste it and add salt to your liking. Start with about 1/2 teaspoon and add more if needed. The salt will really help bring out the flavors. If you're using chicken broth, you might not need to add any at all.
And now you're good to go! Enjoy!


61 Comments:
At August 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM ,
CharityH said...
Awe I am sad now, I wish you had this posted earlier today. I wanted your chorizo & sweet potato enchiladas today but the store had no sauce. This looks amazing and means I will have to try it next time I make those.
At August 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I was just thinking as I read your post for tamale pie about trying to figure out how to make my own enchilada sauce. This is great! Thanks!
At August 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Hi, I saw your enchilada recepie in fb and inmediately came to your blog to see it, It looks great and economical, but I was expecting to see the true Mexican sauce.... I'm not sure of the price of the guajillo dried peppers but i dont think it would be that expensive.... I usually let the guajillos soak over nite then blend them the next day, I add cumin, s&p, oregano, garlic and onion... i dip the corn tortilla in the sauce and then i put it in a skillet with some oil...I just wanted to express my opinion.... You have wonderful receipes and i have tried many of them....specially your not fried beans... your Mexican friend :)
At August 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM ,
Anonymous said...
The stores near my house don't have canned enchilada sauce. I was making mine before you posted this recipe so I looked online for another one. I ended up making one that had cocoa powder in it. I highly recommend giving that a shot. I think it might have been more of a mole sauce but I didn't really care as it was delicious. Thanks for the awesome enchilada recipe! I will be making it regularly from now on!
At August 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM ,
Patricia @ ButterYum said...
No way - that's too easy not to try. Excellent - thanks a bunch!
At August 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM ,
Cassie Gant said...
That's it?? This is amazing! Definitely not going to buy the can anymore. Love this!
At August 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM ,
Kitten LaMieux said...
I used to live in NOLA, I could find Hatch enchilada sauce at the Rouse's on Carrollton Ave. It is my favorite, I moved to a little town outside Baton Rouge and I can't find Hatch anywhere. I tried this and it is excellent, really gave ol' Hatch a run for it's money and kicked Old El Paso's bland and tasetless butt.
At August 5, 2012 at 7:22 AM ,
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche said...
I've always wondered how to make enchilada sauce, I never realised it was so easy or I'd have been making it all along! Thanks for the recipe :)
At August 5, 2012 at 7:27 AM ,
Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...
Thanks for this! I have a friend who lives in Canada who has a hard time finding enchilada sauce. I make enchiladas all the time and can't wait to make this!
At August 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Hey there great recipes but just wanted to add to the other anonymous guajillo! :) throw out the chili powder...make my own at home all the time:) never will go back to canned...great recipes
At August 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM ,
JK Patt said...
This is genius. Thank you for posting this recipe. I am going to make this. I always buy the Trader Joes Enchilada sauce but I need two bottles every time. This will save me so much mullah.
At August 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM ,
Amber @ The Cook's Sister said...
Great red enchilada sauce! I also make my own, I've often had the same problem as you, there just isn't much of a selection at the grocery stores around here. I still buy pre-made green enchilada sauce, but I'd love to learn to make that myself too!
At August 5, 2012 at 1:34 PM ,
Theresa P. said...
This is perfect! I have ground beef thawed in the fridge as i was just thinking beef enchiladas. but i needed a good RED enchilada sauce recipe. this sounds almost authentic, enough for me. I always did like a little tomato flavor added to my enchilada sauce. but then I am a gringo. and i also perfer to use cheddar cheese rather than monterey jack &/or mexican cheeses. Ah well to each her/his own. it's just a matter of what we like. P.S. do you have a recipe for the GREEN Enchilada sauce? I like it best for Chicken/Pork enchiladas Thanks, for the great recipes!!!!!!!!!
At August 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM ,
The Sassy Butterfly's Chaotic Musings said...
mmmm mmmm!!!!!! We often make our own as well.. mine is very similar but I puree up a chipotle pepper and lots of onions and some garlic. So delicious! I think we'll be making some chicken enchiladas this week for sure! Thanks :)
At August 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM ,
Eniat said...
Thanks for posting this! I'm leery of all of the canned enchilada sauces, they always tastes very processed/artificial and I had no idea the recipe was so easy! Definitely will do myself next time.
At August 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM ,
Meriem said...
I tried making my own enchilada sauce one time and it came out HORRIBLE! This one looks more promising though :)
At August 5, 2012 at 3:10 PM ,
Anonymous said...
can you make in bigger batches and freeze?
At August 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM ,
~Molly~ said...
Can I leave out the flour? My husband needs to be gluten free. We are trying to follow a more primal/paleo diet and keep processed flours out, including cornstarch type thickeners too. I'm betting it will be fine.
I've made a chili sauce with dried chilis before but this sounds easier in a pinch!
At August 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM ,
herblackwings39 said...
I make my enchilada sauce with a mix of dried chiles that are soaked to soften, but I don't add tomato to it. Just salt, oregano, garlic, cumin, and some onion then blend it up.
At August 6, 2012 at 2:28 AM ,
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At August 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM ,
Unknown said...
How long would this keep? Looks delicious!!
At August 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM ,
Beth M said...
Anon - I *think* you can freeze it, although I haven't tried it yet.
Molly - Without flour or cornstarch, the sauce will be quite watery. It might still taste okay, but it will be quite soupy rather than sauce-like.
Ashley - probably about 5 days in the fridge, but I suggest making it right when you plan to use it. I haven't tried freezing it yet, but I suspect that it will freeze well.
At August 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM ,
Sally said...
I made enchilada sauce once, but I don't remember how I made it! I think I used tomato sauce instead of tomato paste. Glad to have this recipe.
I've not read all the comments, so maybe someone has mentioned this. When I freeze tomato paste, I freeze it in one tablespoon portions.
At August 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM ,
M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At August 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM ,
M said...
I made a similar enchilada sauce recently for my eggplant enchiladas on my blog, except it didn't have flour in it and used tomato sauce instead of paste. The homemade stuff is so much better, and with it being so easy, I don't think I can even convince myself to buy a can of it again(especially since the cans are always so salty)!
At August 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM ,
Eileen said...
Nice! Aren't homemade sauces and condiments the best? So easy and so much better than commercial!
At August 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM ,
cindy said...
I freeze tomato paste in an ice cube tray with a cover that I got from Daiso for $1.50. Recipes usually only call for like 1 or 2 tbsp. Heck, what do you do with the rest of the can? They say "buy the ones that come in a tube, but where the heck do you find those? So this is what I do, and I end up always having some.
At August 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM ,
Unknown said...
this is awesome- made it tonight and I will no longer be buying this from a can- thank you!!
At August 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM ,
Unknown said...
I have to tell you - I didn't have much faith in myself after I poured the water in and saw how runny it was. I figured I mismeasured something. THEN! Then, I lt it simmer {just like you said} and now I can't stop eating it with a spoon. Thank you x100!
At August 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM ,
Leslie said...
I also make my own sauce......is even better with glug of beer. I also like to mix a little velveeta with mild cheddar for the enchiladas. Yum
At August 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM ,
Nikki said...
I made this for a small casserole of chicken enchiladas and froze the rest... It was awesome! An perfect and easy recipe made from everything I already had on hand!
At August 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM ,
Sheila said...
Love this!... and your sweet potato/chorizo has become a family favorite- even had it at a few pot lucks and no one believe how simple it was. With this sauce what is the storage time if we were wanting to make ahead? Thank yoU!
At August 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM ,
stephanie b said...
Delicious! I used the sauce to make some cheese and onion enchiladas, and they were fantastic.
At August 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM ,
Cheap Bastid said...
Yep, you use the same enchilada sauce recipe that I do! It's cheap, easy and it's tasty!
At August 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM ,
Anonymous said...
What is the purpose of using 2 cups water plus tomato paste vs using 2 cups of tomato sauce? Is it just due to the price difference? For me, I think it would be convienent just to use 2 cups canned tomato sauce if it produces the same end result.
At August 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anon - tomato paste and tomato sauce are slightly different. In addition to having more water, tomato sauce also has some salt and a small amount of seasoning (usually onion powder). That being said, you could use either and I'm sure it would still be great :)
At August 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM ,
Anonymous said...
This is the best 'DIY' item in the kitchen I discovered about a year ago (besides making my own cream of mushroom/chicken). Canned enchilada sauce is expensive!! I make a version of this recipe and freeze half for another meal. It freezes great! Though, after its thawed, you may have to put it back on the stove and add a little a little chicken stock/veggie stock to thin out.
At August 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Followed the recipe as described and it turned out great! Next time I think I'll even spice it up a little more. Thanks for this--it is in the oven as I write--ladled it over chicken enchiladas and covered it in cheese. Will be serving with brown rice and fresh picked garden peppers. Great weekend meal!
At August 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Wow!! Wouldn't change a thing. I was literally scraping the dish clean to get every last bite of this!!
At August 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM ,
Anonymous said...
OMG - I just stumbled across your blog. LOVE it.
Can't wait to try out some recipes once my freezer has been defrosted and moved to its new location.
First on the list - this recipe, the stuffed taco shell, slow cooker marinara sauce and all your Indian recipes.
Jane D.
At September 11, 2012 at 3:50 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Um, just so you know, you aren't supposed to use flour tortillas in enchiladas. Actual Mexican enchiladas use corn tortillas. A few regions in the US use flour, which makes no sense to me, because the texture is unpleasant. Corn tortillas have a much better mouthfeel when soaked in sauce.
~Kali
At September 12, 2012 at 3:43 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Mine turned out extremely spicy, and I was wondering if that is how is should be?
Thanks, Gillian
At September 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM ,
Beth M said...
Gillian - Hmm, most chili powder blends are only made with mild spices, but I suppose its possible that some brands include some spicy chiles in their mix. I would suggest tasting a bit of your chili powder to see if it's spicy and if it is, you could probably skip the 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper that is listed in the ingredients. I hope that helps!
At September 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM ,
Anonymous said...
This is fab, you can't buy jarred/canned enchilada sauce in NZ in the supermarkets and so many recipes ask for it so thanks heaps for this recipe :)
At September 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM ,
Anonymous said...
This looks delicious! I'm so lazy, I just use the immersion blender on our favorite jarred salsa and use that. :D I'll have to give this a shot though.
At November 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM ,
Bonnie Lock said...
Can this recipe be transformed a green enchilada sauce? That our favorite! Looks yummy though, this may be our new favorite!
At November 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM ,
Beth M said...
Bonnie - I don't think so because this uses red chile powder and green enchilada sauce uses green chiles, which are quite different. Try doing a google search, though, there might be an easy way to fix green enchilada sauce (I just haven't looked into it yet).
At November 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I just made this and it was awesome! Also great for a poor college student. I've always had a thing for a little bit of 'tang' in my enchilada sauce, so I added a couple splashes of vinegar. But this was great barring any additions.
At November 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Adding a small piece of very dark chocolate (90-99% cocoa) is an excellent addition and I would imagine a small amount of good quality unsweetened cocoa powder would accomplish the same thing. The strong chocolate flavor doesn't come through, just a nice earthy type of depth which I find allows me to add more heat (which I love) and it stays balanced. I have actually never had the canned variety, just in restaurants and homemade.
At November 24, 2012 at 4:18 AM ,
Sarah Dawn said...
Seriously? This may be one of my favorite things I have found on this site so far. I am stock piling recipes that utilize making things myself rather then purchasing. Thanks for a fantastic find!!
At December 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM ,
jeremyandemily said...
Yum. This was great!
At December 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM ,
jeremyandemily said...
Yum. This was great!
At February 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM ,
Jill said...
Beth, have you tried freezing this yet? I'm anxious to know if I can make it in bulk and freeze it for a rainy day.
..well, less for a rainy day and more for the fact that I'm very lazy.
At February 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM ,
Beth M said...
Jil - No I haven't. So far I've only made when needed for a recipe and in the amount needed :P
At February 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM ,
Jennie said...
Absolutely fantastic. I love enchiladas at restaurants but the canned stuff at home always left me wanting. This recipe really hits the spot--tasty, perfect amount of kick, and the texture is fantastic.
Just a note: I freeze the leftovers of a can of tomato paste in 1T amounts, and I figured out that your recipe calls for 5T. It might be helpful to note that.
Thank you SO much!!
At March 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM ,
Amanda said...
I lovelovelove enchilada sauce on my burritos but it is so damn expensive and just too salty when I buy it (and I have tons of options as our city is about 40% Hispanic). Thank you for doing this!
However, I can't find it on Pinterest. Is there a way you could add a pin for it? I hate that I can't pin it directly from the site since that's where I keep my digital recipe box.
At March 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM ,
Beth M said...
Amanda - Woops, guess I forgot to pin that one! But, I just pinned it, the link is here:
http://pinterest.com/pin/217932069440560283/
At March 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM ,
Maia said...
I will never buy enchilada sauce again.
One thing I did have a problem with was that I kept getting big lumps of spices in my sauce. Letting it sit overnight in the fridge before I use it seems to help with that. Otherwise, I make this sauce exactly as listed and probably once a week...
At April 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM ,
Cari said...
Wow Beth!!! This is amazing! I never knew how easy making enchilada sauce was. I tend to eat pretty clean and have avoided the stuff in the can, came across your recipe for the enchilada pasta which I'm making for company tomorrow.so I prepped the sauce tonight. It's amazing! Tastes far better than anything from a can! Can't wait to try the pasta tomorrow!!!!! Thank you!!!
At April 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Beth is there any thing i could use in place of veg oil w/out compromising the taste too much? Olive oil? Coconut oil? Avocado oil? etc?
I really try to stay away from veg oil, but would love to make my own enchilada sauce. Thanks!
At April 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anonymous - You can probably use any oil, so long as it's not strongly flavored. I'm not sure about coconut oil because it's solid at room temperature, but it might still work.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home