vegetable tamale pie $8.05 recipe / $1.00 serving
Do you want evidence that this recipe is good? How about the fact that I've been eating it for lunch AND dinner for the past three days straight, and I still wanted a piece for breakfast this morning. Seriously.
There are a million and two ways to make tamale pie, some being more like actual tamales than others. This one is not so much like a real tamale, but it's amazing all the same. I decided to go with a cornbread crust instead of polenta because A) I'm in love with corn bread and B) I wanted something that could soak up yumminess from the bottom of the pan. It definitely worked.
I originally intended to make this a beef tamale pie, but I bullied myself into doing a vegetarian mix because I felt like I needed more beans and vegetables in my life. If you did want to do beef (or chicken or pork), simply switch it out for the sweet potatoes, beans, and peppers... or add them all in there together! It's very flexible.
P.S. I know the ingredients list looks long, but it's really quite simple to make. Promise!
Total Recipe cost: $8.05
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Cost per serving: $1.00
Prep time: 30 min. Cook time: 25 min. Total: 55 min.
STEP 1: Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Cook in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. While onion and garlic are cooking, peel and dice the sweet potato. Add the diced sweet potato to the skillet and continue cooking.
STEP 2: Remove the seeds from the poblano and jalapeno peppers, dice both, and add to the skillet. Also add the black beans (drained and rinsed), enchilada sauce, and sliced green onions. Stir and heat through. Taste the mixture and add the chili powder, cumin, and salt. Adjust to your liking.
STEP 3: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. To make the cornbread topping, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder). Stir until evenly combined. Next, add the wet ingredients (milk, egg, vegetable oil, shredded cheese, and roughly chopped cilantro leaves). Stir these ingredients into the dry ingredients just until everything has become wet and the mixture looks even. Slightly beating the egg before adding it helps make this easier.
STEP 3: To build the tamale pie, pour the vegetable mixture into a deep pie dish, cast iron skillet, or 8x8 inch casserole dish. Next, pour the cornbread mixture over top and smooth it out evenly. Bake the pie in the preheated 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until the top of the cornbread is golden brown.
Start by cooking those onions and garlic in olive oil.
While those are cooking, peel and dice your sweet potato. Add it to the skillet.
For those who are unfamiliar with poblano peppers, this is what they look like. Large, dark green, and a kind of like a deflated balloon. They have a very unique flavor. If they're not available in your area, you can substitute with other vegetables or beans to make up for the volume.
Remove the seeds from the poblano and chop it up. Do the same with the jalapeno. Add both to the skillet, along with sliced green onions and black beans (drained and rinsed). I used black beans that I had cooked from dry, which is why they're so inexpensive on the ingredient list. Freezing them after cooking makes them just as convenient as canned beans!
Next add the enchilada sauce and then heat everything through.
The enchilada sauce didn't quite provide enough flavor for me, so I also added a little chili powder, cumin, and salt.

Next it's time to make the cornbread topping. In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir until they're well combined. Oh, also begin preheating your oven at this point - 425 degrees.

Then add the wet ingredients (milk, oil, egg, cheddar, roughly chopped cilantro). I like to slightly beat the egg before adding it because it helps it incorporate easier. The cheese and cilantro are completely optional.

When stirring the wet ingredients into the dry, only stir just until all of the mixture has moistened and everything looks even (about ten stirs). You want to try to avoid over stirring.

Next, pour the vegetable mixture into the bottom of your baking dish. I used my cast iron skillet because I knew it would make for some nice pictures, but you can also use a deep pie dish or an 8x8 inch casserole dish. My skillet is about 10 inches across.

Pour the cornbread topping over the vegetables and smooth it out. Make sure the oven has finished preheating, and then bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Begin checking it at 18-20 minutes because every oven is a little different.

And then it looks, smells, and tastes absolutely delicious! I cut mine into 8 pieces and had 8 very satisfying meals.


There are a million and two ways to make tamale pie, some being more like actual tamales than others. This one is not so much like a real tamale, but it's amazing all the same. I decided to go with a cornbread crust instead of polenta because A) I'm in love with corn bread and B) I wanted something that could soak up yumminess from the bottom of the pan. It definitely worked.
I originally intended to make this a beef tamale pie, but I bullied myself into doing a vegetarian mix because I felt like I needed more beans and vegetables in my life. If you did want to do beef (or chicken or pork), simply switch it out for the sweet potatoes, beans, and peppers... or add them all in there together! It's very flexible.
P.S. I know the ingredients list looks long, but it's really quite simple to make. Promise!
Vegetable Tamale Pie
Total Recipe cost: $8.05
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Cost per serving: $1.00
Prep time: 30 min. Cook time: 25 min. Total: 55 min.
| FILLING INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 2 Tbsp | olive oil | $0.32 |
| 1 small | yellow onion | $0.48 |
| 2 cloves | garlic | $0.16 |
| 1 small | sweet potato | $0.69 |
| 2 cups (or 1 can) | black beans | $0.56 |
| 1/2 bunch | green onions | $0.25 |
| 1 medium | poblano pepper | $0.84 |
| 1 medium | jalapeno pepper | $0.12 |
| 1 (10 oz.) can | red enchilada sauce | $1.53 |
| 1/2 Tbsp | chili powder | $0.07 |
| 1/2 tsp | cumin | $0.03 |
| 1/2 tsp | salt | $0.02 |
| CORNBREAD TOPPING INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 1 cup | yellow cornmeal | $0.24 |
| 1 cup | all-purpose flour | $0.15 |
| 1/4 cup | sugar | $0.04 |
| 4 tsp | baking powder | $0.12 |
| 1/2 tsp | salt | $0.02 |
| 1 cup | milk | $0.62 |
| 1 large | egg | $0.25 |
| 1/4 cup | vegetable oil | $0.21 |
| 1 cup | shredded cheddar (optional) | $1.00 |
| 1/2 bunch | cilantro (optional) | $0.43 |
| TOTAL | $8.05 | |
STEP 1: Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Cook in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. While onion and garlic are cooking, peel and dice the sweet potato. Add the diced sweet potato to the skillet and continue cooking.
STEP 2: Remove the seeds from the poblano and jalapeno peppers, dice both, and add to the skillet. Also add the black beans (drained and rinsed), enchilada sauce, and sliced green onions. Stir and heat through. Taste the mixture and add the chili powder, cumin, and salt. Adjust to your liking.
STEP 3: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. To make the cornbread topping, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder). Stir until evenly combined. Next, add the wet ingredients (milk, egg, vegetable oil, shredded cheese, and roughly chopped cilantro leaves). Stir these ingredients into the dry ingredients just until everything has become wet and the mixture looks even. Slightly beating the egg before adding it helps make this easier.
STEP 3: To build the tamale pie, pour the vegetable mixture into a deep pie dish, cast iron skillet, or 8x8 inch casserole dish. Next, pour the cornbread mixture over top and smooth it out evenly. Bake the pie in the preheated 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until the top of the cornbread is golden brown.
Step By Step Photos
Start by cooking those onions and garlic in olive oil.
While those are cooking, peel and dice your sweet potato. Add it to the skillet.
For those who are unfamiliar with poblano peppers, this is what they look like. Large, dark green, and a kind of like a deflated balloon. They have a very unique flavor. If they're not available in your area, you can substitute with other vegetables or beans to make up for the volume.
Remove the seeds from the poblano and chop it up. Do the same with the jalapeno. Add both to the skillet, along with sliced green onions and black beans (drained and rinsed). I used black beans that I had cooked from dry, which is why they're so inexpensive on the ingredient list. Freezing them after cooking makes them just as convenient as canned beans!
Next add the enchilada sauce and then heat everything through.
The enchilada sauce didn't quite provide enough flavor for me, so I also added a little chili powder, cumin, and salt.

Next it's time to make the cornbread topping. In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir until they're well combined. Oh, also begin preheating your oven at this point - 425 degrees.

Then add the wet ingredients (milk, oil, egg, cheddar, roughly chopped cilantro). I like to slightly beat the egg before adding it because it helps it incorporate easier. The cheese and cilantro are completely optional.

When stirring the wet ingredients into the dry, only stir just until all of the mixture has moistened and everything looks even (about ten stirs). You want to try to avoid over stirring.

Next, pour the vegetable mixture into the bottom of your baking dish. I used my cast iron skillet because I knew it would make for some nice pictures, but you can also use a deep pie dish or an 8x8 inch casserole dish. My skillet is about 10 inches across.

Pour the cornbread topping over the vegetables and smooth it out. Make sure the oven has finished preheating, and then bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Begin checking it at 18-20 minutes because every oven is a little different.

And then it looks, smells, and tastes absolutely delicious! I cut mine into 8 pieces and had 8 very satisfying meals.


Labels: beans, intermediate, main dish, mexican, one-dish meals, vegetables, vegetarian


60 Comments:
At August 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM ,
Brittani said...
I'm going to be making this tonight! This and your recipe for stuffed poblano peppers! Yum!
At August 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM ,
Unknown said...
Wow, this looks so good. I'm going to try and make it without the spicy. I'm a wimp.
At August 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM ,
D said...
And now I am hungry for dinner at 8:23 AM. Looks fabulous. I am definitely trying your recipe. And did I mention I am loving your pictures. Thanks for posting.
At August 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM ,
Amber G said...
I am very excited to try this! We have recently gotten some cast iron for wedding gifts and I love new ways to use them! Question: any good recipes for shredded beef? I suppose you could do this with ground...but that's one thing I like about tamales is the shredded beef they serve in restaurants? Any other thoughts on proteins that would work well in this(not a big bean eater myself) Thanks!
At August 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM ,
Dixie G said...
Oh my goodness, this is JUST the recipe I needed to see! I know what dinner's gonna be...
At August 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM ,
Lorena said...
This is getting made this weekend, especially since it's been a bit cooler this week and turning on the oven won't melt us. Love that this can become a one-dish meal, too, courtesy of my cast iron pan. Yum!
At August 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM ,
Oregon Sue said...
This looks heavenly. Will be making it very soon! Thanks!
At August 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM ,
Christy W. said...
Wow, that looks great! I've been making chicken pot pie with a cornbread topping for years and it's by far my favorite way to make pot pie. I'll definitely be trying this recipe. Thank you!
At August 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM ,
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar said...
Looove the look of this! Yum!
At August 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM ,
Beth M said...
Amber - Try this one: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/12/shredded-taco-beef-1248-recipe-104.html
:D
At August 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM ,
CheapBastid said...
This I have to try--but maybe I'll add about 1/2 lb of ground beef or some seasoned pork sausage to it. But--we're trying to go with more meatless meals so I think I'll start off just the way you've presented it. Thanks.
At August 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM ,
AshleeQueen said...
I never have cornmeal, but I always seem to have 6 boxes of Jiffy mix (since my mother buys the stuff in bulk, literally, and gives me tons)...could I use that, instead? The box calls for 1/3 cup milk and 1 large egg. How would I alter your recipe to fit it?
At August 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM ,
Katie Shircliff said...
Think this would work okay with whole wheat flour?
At August 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM ,
Beth M said...
Ashlee - I forget how much one box makes, but I think one box will do... or maybe two? Just mix up the box according to its directions and pour it over top of the vegetable mix :) I almost used JIF myself (because I secretly love it), but I decided to give homemade one more try. All of my past attempts have been failures, but it finally worked for me this time!
At August 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM ,
Beth M said...
Katie - Hmm, I don't know. I've never tried to make cornbread with WW flour! If you try it, please let us know how it works.
At August 3, 2012 at 7:37 AM ,
Rhonda F. said...
Made this last night (but I cheated and used Mexican cornbread mix). Soooooooooo gooooooooodddddddddah. >____________< Having some for breakfast.
At August 3, 2012 at 7:44 AM ,
Jacalynz said...
I made this last night, and it was so good! My boyfriend loved it too. I was nervous about making the cornbread topping, but it turned out perfectly. I will definitely be making this again and again.
At August 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Maybe this is a stupid question, but your poblano pepper looks like it has a silver sheen on the skin... is this just my computer screen or funky lighting int the picture? Did you roast the pepper over a flame or something before chopping it up, or are they supposed to look like that?
At August 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anon - It's not a stupid question :) That's actually just the reflection from the sun coming in the window in my kitchen. I didn't bother roasting the poblano, but you certainly could if you wanted - it would really kick up the flavor! Roasted poblanos are one of my favorites!
At August 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM ,
Dash Interiors said...
Wow this looks fantastic come and post some of your awesome recipes on this weeks recipe swap!
http://abpetite.blogspot.com/2012/08/blog-recipe-swap.html
At August 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM ,
cindy said...
Thank you so much for this. It has everything I've been trying to eat more of (haha, except the cornbread, but I love it and don't care!), and for once I'm not salivating over your wonderful pictures of MEAT! (newbie vegetarian)
This one makes up for the Taco Chicken Rice Bowl that I haven't figured out how to "vegify" yet. :D
...although I did notice a price tag and empty shelf for "chickenless shreds" at Trader Joe's, so that one may be getting close!
At August 4, 2012 at 6:47 AM ,
onebrokegurl said...
My first time here. This looks really good!
At August 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM ,
Unknown said...
I nominated your excellent blog for the Versatile Blogger Award. I'm sure you have been nominated many times over already, but if you are interested in participating you can access the rules at this link: http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/08/04/versatile-blogger-award/
At August 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM ,
Jen @ de Jong Dream House said...
I wanted you to know that I have chosen you for The Very Inspiring Blogger Award. You can see the details about your nomination on my blog, http://dejongdreamhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html
If you accept the award please note there are rules: 1) Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post. 2) Share 7 interesting things about yourself. 3) Nominate 7 bloggers you admire. 4) Leave a comment on each of the blog’s letting them know they have been nominated.
At August 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I made this last night and it got rave reviews! My only problem was that I was too nervous to put it in a #8 skillet (was afraid it would go over and spill out), so I used a #12, which worked great, just a little "thinner" than in your pictures. Can you tell me what size cast iron skillet you used? I may keep an eye out for a #10. But seriously, this recipe was fantastic and I can see making it again in the future :)
At August 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM ,
Anonymous said...
(PS: I tossed a few seeds from both the poblano and the jalapeno to give it an added kick - tasted great!)
At August 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM ,
Joan said...
It's in the oven - so far, so good. First time I used any peppers other than Bell and my fingers are still kind of burning. I remember they used to say to wear gloves and maybe I should have cause I must be a wimp. It looks and smells great, but I'm almost afraid to taste it lol.
At August 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I made this this weekend and am eating it for lunch as we speak. Yummy...I did leave out the peppers and put in meat. I already know what I would add moreof next time and there will be a next time as my whole family loved it (even my 2 year old and 4 year old)..Thanks again for another recipe going into my classic section.
At August 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM ,
Anonymous said...
This looks great and I plan on making it tonight! I do have a question, I am dairy free and was wondering if I replaced the milk with almond milk...would it work? I of course would leave out the cheese (even though it looks sooo good). Just wanted to know your thoughts even though I will be attempting it anyways!
At August 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM ,
Angela said...
I'm verrryyy excited to get home from work and cook this tonight!!
Odd question... is it possible to freeze peppers? My grocery store only sold poblano peppers in 3-packs... and for $1.48 I decided it was worth it just to get them all rather than go search at another store. ...now I'm at a loss of what to do with the other 2!
If they won't freeze... what other types of dishes would they be good in? This is my first time cooking with this type of pepper!
At August 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anon - I have not tried baking with almond milk, so I can't say for sure if it will work, but I suspect it will. If you try it out, please let us know how it turns out!
Angela - Yep, you can freeze peppers :) I would deseed and chop them first, though. Then it will be just like the peppers that come in stir fry mixes or onion and pepper seasoning mixes that you can buy in the freezer section! Convenient :)
At August 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM ,
Sicilian said...
I made this tonight. Because the poblanos looked terrible at the store, I used Anaheim peppers that I had roasted. It was very good, but I would like a bit more heat and probably use more jalapenos next time.
At August 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I did use almond milk and it turned out amazing!!! This can be a dairy free dinner!!! I used Rick Bayless' Red Chile Enchilada Sauce and also added the spices you suggested and it was SOO YUMMY! Next time I will add more onion, sweet pot, pablano, and jalepeno to beef it up a little. My cornbread to filling ratio was a little off. Thanks for the great recipe!
At August 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM ,
cindy said...
Eating this right now...YUUUMMM!!! Reminded me of chili, so I added some "Beefless Strips" from Trader Joe's (1/2 the package, cut into smaller pieces - vegetarian) and went a little heavier with the sauce (99¢ for a whopping 28 oz can from Grocery Outlet; used half, half for next time). Safeway had "Pasilla Peppers," which I was assured by the veggie guy there was the same thing as Poblanos. Went a little further with the decadence and buttered the top too! :p Used my Calphalon 12" Everyday pan.
Boy, am I full. But I don't care, I'm eating this whole slice! Thanks, Beth! :)
At August 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM ,
Angela said...
Made this last night... it's SOOOO good!!! I couldn't find my deep pie dish (I woke up remembering where I put it... ugh) and I only had an 8 inch which didn't look like it would fit everything, so I went with my big 8x14 baking dish. I definitely wouldn't recommend such a big dish! With the filling layer being so shallow a lot of it was soaked up into the cornbread, so there wasn't much left. It was still amazing and I'm already drooling thinking about leftovers for lunch!!
At August 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM ,
Jeanne said...
Beth, I love your recipes because I can customize it to what I have on hand. Instead of an enchilada bottom, I made a veggie chili. Replace enchilada sauce with a can of diced tomatoes, add more chili powder and cumin, and there you go: vegetable chili pie! I also just cooked everything in the cast iron and spread the cornbread mixture on top. One pan meal to boot!
At August 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM ,
steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At August 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM ,
steve said...
this is awesome. thanks! it's now an official member of my dinner rotation. i just tried it for the second time and it came out great. one suggestion. first time i tried it i used an 8 by 8 pyrex dish. no good - the corn bread didn't cook thru. this time i used 11 by 8 and had much better results.
i like how i can clean out my fridge with this recipe. can throw anything almost in it.
At August 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM ,
steve said...
11 by 9 actually.....
At August 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM ,
Mary jo said...
Made this tonight with the homemade enchilada sauce, and it was delicious! Thank you SO MUCH for your blog! I have a question... We're expecting a new baby in November, and I'm trying to thing of things to freeze for easy quick meals. I was thinking of making a double batch of the filling and freezing it next time. Do you think that would work? I use cooked from dry beans that I freeze, too. Do you think those would hold up and be OK if cooked in the filling and refrozen? Thanks!
At August 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM ,
Beth M said...
Mary Jo - Yes, I think that would work great! Wonderful Idea :)
At August 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I made it with the jiffy mix as another poster suggested, and it is amazing! Very tasty and easy to make . Love the blog, please keep the awesome recipes coming.
At August 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM ,
Millieewillie said...
This. Was. Awesome.
At August 12, 2012 at 4:10 AM ,
Crafty Tuesday said...
So awesome, in fact, that I'm making it again. I'd never eaten cornbread before, totally a convert after this :-)
At August 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Just made it but I added a handful of frozen corn and a small diced red pepper. Also use your recipe for enchilada sauce... Smell so good!!! Can't wait until tomorrow night to eat it!
I will make the corn bread topping tomorrow right before supper.
thank you again for all your great ideas!
At August 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM ,
Kane Harrell said...
Wow, this was really tremendous.
Added in some Cream Soda Pulled Pork (slight alteration to your Root Beer Pulled Pork recipe) and it was incredible!
At August 15, 2012 at 5:52 AM ,
Jon Cole said...
Made this the other night in four 2-cup round Pyrex containers - the proportions came out just right and I had a ready-to-go container for a hearty lunch the next day.
At August 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM ,
Megan said...
This was super good, made it in my 8x8 and the cornbread was sort of ridiculously thick, but you can never have too much cornbread!! I think if I did it again, I'd make another layer w/1/2 chorizo/1/2 ground turkey on the bottom, the same amount of veggies & cornbread on top, in a cake sized pan. So good of course!!
At September 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM ,
Julie said...
This was amazing. I ate it for lunch for the next few days. I switched sweet potato for carrot and used a sweet red pepper rather than poblano because England is bad at ingredients for Mexican. I also made my own enchilada sauce as I make it all the time for... enchiladas. I cooked everything in my cast iron skillet and just poured my batter on top, baked in the skillet. It was amazing. Thank you for this as I will make it forever.
At October 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM ,
Unknown said...
I just made this tonight and it is fantastic. Believe it or not I left out the enchilada sauce (oops) but the cumin + chilli powder was enough to carry a fantastic dish :)
At October 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I thought this was delicious but the cornbread to veggies ratio wasn't right for me. Next time, I'll be sure to add in more vegetables (spinach, red pepper, carrot, corn). Thanks for the great base recipe though - I will definitely make it again!
At October 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM ,
Kelsey said...
I made this tonight (eating it now!) I even accidentally left out the enchilada sauce--still AMAZING.
At October 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM ,
robyn said...
So freakin amazing! Thanks for the recipe. Yummmmy :)
At November 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Just made it, and it's in the oven! I accidentally put in the whole can of enchilada sauce and it was pretty soupy, so I reduced it until it was spreadable. I couldn't stop eating the mixture while it was cooking so I know that's good, can't wait to try it with the cornbread! From peeking in the oven the cornbread has risen nicely. One thing though, I don't think this would have worked in a 8x8 pan, I spread it into a 9x13 because that's all I had, but it seems to be just fine.
At January 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM ,
Liz H. said...
Beth, I just wanted to let you know that I made this for an old friend right after she had her first baby (I figured a free home cooked meal might be a good gift for a new exhausted mom). I chose this because I thought it sounded yummy and she is vegetarian. She sounded skeptical, but when she tried it she LOVED it (so did I!) Thanks for this awesome recipe, that was a couple months ago and I'm gonna make it again tonight-for myself :)
At February 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I love this recipe, I make it all the time now- thanks! I bake it in a 9x13 casserole dish, and add other vegetables I have in the fridge and need to use up (zucchinis and red bell peppers taste really good with the rest of the vegetables in the recipe) I also really like it with pepper jack cheese.
At February 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Really good recipe, but I think I'll double the filling next time. The flavors were amazing, but wanted more filling with all the cornbread.
At March 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM ,
Anonymous said...
If I wanted to make this with polenta, would I just follow the directions on the packaged polenta?
At March 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anon - Yes, I would just follow the directions on the package of polenta and then pour it on top :)
At May 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM ,
EdibleFoliage said...
Made this for dinner last night! I used almond milk and egg replacer to make the top vegan. Easy and yummy - my favorite kind of recipe! The jalapeno pepper I used was HOT, but the mild sweetness of the topping made for the perfect accompaniment. Definitely going to make this again (and again).
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home