oven fajitas $7.78 recipe / $1.95 serving
Ooo, these are my new favorite thing!!
I love fajitas, but have had a hard time replicating their smoky goodness at home. I don't have a grill or a cast iron griddle, so it's been difficult to achieve that authentic fajita flavor. I've seen this oven method around the interent a lot lately, so I thought I'd give it a shot. SO glad I did!!!
Roasting the meat and vegetables in the oven gives them a slightly charred edge and a hard to replicate sweetness that you just can't get in a plain old skillet. Even better yet, you don't have to stand over the stove and babysit it while it cooks! Set it and forget it! YES. (can you tell how excited I am about this?)
I went with a vegetable heavy mix to keep costs low. I specifically used more green bell pepper and onion than anything else, because these are the two least expensive vegetables. I only used one small chicken breast (probably about 3/4 lb.) and sliced it very thin. The meat to veggie ratio was perfect after everything had cooked down. If you want to make this vegetarian, try using sliced portabello mushrooms in place of the chicken.
I like to keep my fajitas simple, with just a splash of lime, a few cilantro leaves, and a dollop of sour cream. I find that the lime really makes the flavors pop, but the other toppings are completely up to you! Play with it! :)
Oh, and although the ingredient list may look long, most of that is the fajita seasoning mix. If you want, you can just buy a packet of fajita seasoning instead, although they're charging you a great deal for the simple act of stirring spices together!
Total Recipe cost: $7.78
Servings Per Recipe: 4 (two fajitas each)
Cost per serving: $1.95
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 35-40 min. Total: 50-55 min.
*I buy my chicken breast when it's on sale for $1.99/lb. and freeze it.
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients for the fajita seasoning in a small bowl and set aside (chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, sugar, salt, and corn starch).
STEP 2: Cut the onion and bell peppers into 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide strips. Place them in a large 9x13 inch casserole dish. Slice the chicken breast into very thin strips and add it to the casserole dish with the vegetables.
STEP 3: Sprinkle the seasoning over the meat and vegetables. Drizzle the vegetable oil over everything and then use your hands to toss the ingredients until everything is well coated in oil and seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring once half way through. Squeeze the juice from half of the lime over top of the meat and vegetables after it comes out of the oven.
STEP 4: Scoop a small amount of meat and vegetables into the center of each tortilla. Top with a few sprigs of cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, and an extra squeeze of lime if desired.
First mix together your fajita seasoning (chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, sugar, salt, and corn starch). The corn starch helps keep things from getting too juicy while roasting and will help the seasoning adhere.
These are the vegetables that I used. I made sure to use more of the green bell peppers and onions because they are far less expensive than the red bell pepper.
Cut all of the vegetables into strips and place them in a large 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Also cut the chicken into very thin strips. My chicken breast was actually pretty small, but once everything was cooked and the vegetables had shrunk up a bit, the meat to veggie ratio was very good.
Add the chicken to the casserole dish with the vegetables. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning over top and drizzle with the vegetable oil. Use your hands to toss the ingredients together until they are well coated in spices and oil.
Pop the casserole dish in a preheated 400 degree oven and let it roast for 35-40 minutes. Stir once half way through baking. Squeeze some lime juice over top after it comes out of the oven for an added zing.

And then build your fajitas! I had some leftovers for lunch today and they were scruuuuumptious! So good and so easy!!
I love fajitas, but have had a hard time replicating their smoky goodness at home. I don't have a grill or a cast iron griddle, so it's been difficult to achieve that authentic fajita flavor. I've seen this oven method around the interent a lot lately, so I thought I'd give it a shot. SO glad I did!!!
Roasting the meat and vegetables in the oven gives them a slightly charred edge and a hard to replicate sweetness that you just can't get in a plain old skillet. Even better yet, you don't have to stand over the stove and babysit it while it cooks! Set it and forget it! YES. (can you tell how excited I am about this?)
I went with a vegetable heavy mix to keep costs low. I specifically used more green bell pepper and onion than anything else, because these are the two least expensive vegetables. I only used one small chicken breast (probably about 3/4 lb.) and sliced it very thin. The meat to veggie ratio was perfect after everything had cooked down. If you want to make this vegetarian, try using sliced portabello mushrooms in place of the chicken.
I like to keep my fajitas simple, with just a splash of lime, a few cilantro leaves, and a dollop of sour cream. I find that the lime really makes the flavors pop, but the other toppings are completely up to you! Play with it! :)
Oh, and although the ingredient list may look long, most of that is the fajita seasoning mix. If you want, you can just buy a packet of fajita seasoning instead, although they're charging you a great deal for the simple act of stirring spices together!
Oven Fajitas
Total Recipe cost: $7.78
Servings Per Recipe: 4 (two fajitas each)
Cost per serving: $1.95
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 35-40 min. Total: 50-55 min.
| FAJITA SEASONING INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 1 Tbsp | chili powder | $0.15 |
| 1/2 Tbsp | paprika | $0.07 |
| 1/2 tsp | onion powder | $0.03 |
| 1/4 tsp | garlic powder | $0.02 |
| 1/4 tsp | cumin | $0.02 |
| 1/8 tsp | cayenne pepper | $0.02 |
| 1 tsp | sugar | $0.02 |
| 1/2 tsp | salt | $0.02 |
| 1/2 Tbsp | corn starch | $0.02 |
| FAJITA INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 2 small (or 1 lg.) | onion | $0.64 |
| 2 medium | green bell peppers | $1.00 |
| 1 medium | red bell pepper | $1.50 |
| 1 lb. | chicken breast* | $1.99 |
| 2 Tbsp | vegetable oil | $0.04 |
| 1 medium | lime | $0.40 |
| 8 (6-inch) | tortillas | $1.20 |
| 1/2 cup | sour cream (optional) | $0.42 |
| 1/4 bunch | cilantro (optional) | $0.22 |
| TOTAL | $7.78 | |
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients for the fajita seasoning in a small bowl and set aside (chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, sugar, salt, and corn starch).
STEP 2: Cut the onion and bell peppers into 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide strips. Place them in a large 9x13 inch casserole dish. Slice the chicken breast into very thin strips and add it to the casserole dish with the vegetables.
STEP 3: Sprinkle the seasoning over the meat and vegetables. Drizzle the vegetable oil over everything and then use your hands to toss the ingredients until everything is well coated in oil and seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring once half way through. Squeeze the juice from half of the lime over top of the meat and vegetables after it comes out of the oven.
STEP 4: Scoop a small amount of meat and vegetables into the center of each tortilla. Top with a few sprigs of cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, and an extra squeeze of lime if desired.
Step By Step Photos
First mix together your fajita seasoning (chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, sugar, salt, and corn starch). The corn starch helps keep things from getting too juicy while roasting and will help the seasoning adhere.
These are the vegetables that I used. I made sure to use more of the green bell peppers and onions because they are far less expensive than the red bell pepper.
Cut all of the vegetables into strips and place them in a large 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Also cut the chicken into very thin strips. My chicken breast was actually pretty small, but once everything was cooked and the vegetables had shrunk up a bit, the meat to veggie ratio was very good.
Add the chicken to the casserole dish with the vegetables. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning over top and drizzle with the vegetable oil. Use your hands to toss the ingredients together until they are well coated in spices and oil.
Pop the casserole dish in a preheated 400 degree oven and let it roast for 35-40 minutes. Stir once half way through baking. Squeeze some lime juice over top after it comes out of the oven for an added zing.

And then build your fajitas! I had some leftovers for lunch today and they were scruuuuumptious! So good and so easy!!


61 Comments:
At February 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM ,
Michelle said...
This looks so yummy! I definitely will be making it this week.
At February 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM ,
Toni Hiers said...
How much oil would you say that you used? Love this idea, probably much faster than doing it in cast iron, anyway, since you can fit much more at once in a casserole dish. Trying this out next week!
At February 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM ,
Beth M said...
Toni - I only used 2 tablespoons for the whole recipe, most of which gets left behind in the casserole dish!
At February 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM ,
Mathieu said...
Wheresssss the cheese? Just kidding :)
I love it, no stress oven fajitas!
At February 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM ,
Unknown said...
Oh yum. Now I want fajitas. :D
At February 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM ,
Bridge said...
Hummm, merci du partage !!
At February 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM ,
MMoore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At February 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM ,
MMoore said...
These are soooooo good!! And, they're super cheap and easy! Thank you :)
bynovember.com
At February 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM ,
Devora said...
This looks awesome! Unfortunately I super dislike green bell peppers (one of the very very few things I can't stand). What would you suggest to substitute? Besides "more red bell peppers" :)
At February 19, 2013 at 6:13 AM ,
M said...
I LOVE oven fajitas. Yum. Sometimes, if I'm short on something, I'll add a can of diced tomatos. Makes them a bit juicier, but still super delicious.
At February 19, 2013 at 6:36 AM ,
Bruce said...
I'm going to make these tomorrow. Aldi's has three packs of assorted peppers for 1.29 this week. Gonna skip the chicken and make refried beans with the canned beans I have on hand. Gonna try your refried bean recipe next week!
At February 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM ,
Beth M said...
Devora - Sometimes I like mushrooms and carrots in my fajitas :D
At February 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM ,
Devora said...
@Beth M - ooh good idea! I wonder if something like very thinly sliced acorn or butternut squash would work for winter months, and maybe zucchini or asparagus for warmer months? mmm.
At February 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM ,
KS said...
I am making these tonight- went to the store yesterday after seeing your post. Also grabbed white mushrooms as that is always my favorite in fajitas. Will report back but wanted to say a quick thanks for the great idea and post making dinner tonight easy for me.
At February 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM ,
Cynthia said...
Add another person to the 'going to make tonight' list ... this looks super easy and yummy. I need some more easy dishes to add to my list!
At February 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM ,
Ella said...
When you say to squeeze lemon juice over it (in the picture captions), do you mean lime?
At February 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM ,
Beth M said...
Ella - Ha! Yes, I did mean lime... Thanks for catching that!! (fixing now)
At February 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Beth - I love your blog and thank you for continuing to put up recipes. What kind of tofu would you substitute for the chicken (as a vegetarian)? Would you recommend something other than tofu?
At February 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anon - I'm actually very inexperienced with tofu, so I'm not sure what type would be best with this. Instead, I'd just add more vegetables like mushrooms and carrots (cut into matchsticks). You could also add a few beans for more protein.
At February 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM ,
Prob8 said...
Just made these tonight. Everyone loved them! Making them was quick and easy. Thanks!!! I will be trying your black bean quesadillas later this week. Can't wait.
At February 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I'm glad you're giving a shout out to fajitas! They're a great way to get rid of left over veggies (musrooms, a few brocoli florets, peppers, anything really). Fajitas are my version of a Sunday "leftover" stew. They usually translate well into different types of meals. I'll have it in the fajita wrap for dinner and then throw the veggies and chicken over a salad for lunch! Then I can use left over beans to make a frozen burrito (thanks to your recipe) to eat another day. Last time I made it, I had an orange that was about to go bad, so I used that instead of a lime. Yummy flavor.
Usually I marinate the chicken, cook it in a pain with all of the spices/juices. Once cooked, then I remove the chicken and then cook the veggies in the same pan. But why do two steps when I can just throw it all in the casserole dish? GREAT idea!
At February 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you actually realize what you are talking about!
Bookmarked. Kindly additionally visit my web site =). We will have a hyperlink change agreement between us
Here is my blog post :: get followers
At February 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM ,
Amanda Wrege said...
Making this tonight with steak! Thanks Beth!! :)
At February 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming again to read other news.
Also visit my page: zulutrade
At February 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM ,
ANR said...
This was perfect! My husband and I enjoyed it immensely! Thanks, Beth!
At February 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM ,
Juliana said...
I like to toss everything with a little liquid smoke before I toss with the seasoning blend, and use smoked paprika to amp up the smoky goodness when I'm too lazy to take everything out to the grill.
At February 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM ,
Juliana said...
I like to toss everything with a little liquid smoke before I toss with the seasoning blend, and use smoked paprika to amp up the smoky goodness when I'm too lazy to take everything out to the grill.
At February 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I have been making my version of oven fajitas since I had kids and found it easier to stick in the oven than stand at the hob. My version marinades the meat and veg in olive oil, oregano, chilli flakes, salt, and lime zest and juice.
At February 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM ,
Janice E said...
Made these last night - hubby and I LOVED! Had it ready - put in the oven - went for a long walk, and when we returned, magic happened in 40 minutes!
At February 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM ,
Maxime said...
This is cooking in my oven right now! Bell peppers were on sale 3/$1 so made it nice & cheap. It smells delicious and I'm sure it'll taste as awesome as it smells.
At February 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM ,
ilene said...
I made these last night and they were great. I didn't have regular paprika, so I used smoked paprika and also added a little liquid smoke.
At February 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Hi to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this site, and your
views are fastidious designed for new visitors.
Feel free to visit my web blog; diets that work
At February 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM ,
Dan said...
My wife and I made these last night. Excellent. Decided on the spur of the moment, but we had most of the ingredients. We were short on fresh bell pepper, but we had several colors in the freezer that were vacuumed sealed. Still worked great. We have enjoyed your site.
At February 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM ,
Amanda said...
THANK YOU SO MUCH for this recipe!!
I made these last night... I don't think I've ever had such amazing (home-cooked!) fajitas! I double the entire recipe because I got a great deal on bell peppers, and I didn't have onion powder so I just used extra garlic powder. I had these with some avocado and just a teeny bit of sour cream -- the BF and I couldn't stop eating!!
At February 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM ,
Gina said...
Made these tonight and they were amazing!!! I'll definitely be makig this again. I made a pot of spanish rice to round out the meal, and now I have leftovers to look forward to!
At February 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM ,
Kate Uttinger said...
We had these for supper tonight. So perfect, Beth! Like another reader, I added a bit of liquid smoke to the chicken--perfecto! Thanks for another great recipe!
At February 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM ,
Jessie said...
Thanks for the great recipe! I should have doubled the recipe, as our family of four demolished all of it and I would have loved some leftovers. :) This is going in my favorites.
At February 27, 2013 at 2:31 AM ,
Unknown said...
I made this last week.... and Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm this was delicious. So simple, and flavorful.
At February 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM ,
laparisienne said...
Yay! This was delicious and so easy. And fun to eat! Thanks for the recipe!
At March 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Made these tonight, you rock! I regularly check your page and my husband and I really enjoy your recipes, thank you!
At March 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM ,
Melanie said...
Made these last night, and thought all night about what I was gonna comment. All I can come up with is "I LOVE YOU". Oh my sweet baby Jesus, these were SOOOO friggin GOOOOOOOD!!!! We may be having them again tonight.... : ) Seriously, I love you.
At March 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM ,
Anonymous said...
These were great! I really appreciate the recipe for the fajita seasoning, as I hate buying those packets since they're so full of fake additives. These made for a great date night with homemade lime margaritas. I'll be making them again!
At March 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM ,
jamievo said...
Tried these out this past week and loved them! I always get impatient when cooking them on the stove and end up with burnt veggies, but these were done perfectly. So yummy and a perfect blend of spices! Loved the set it and forget it aspect!
At March 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM ,
Cassi said...
I've already made this recipe twice! This is perfect! Thank you!
At March 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I want to add my voice to the chorus that is singing the praises of this healthy, easy, and delicious recipe! As a busy grandma caring for a very young infant, I need recipes that are simple and quick that I can throw together during his short naps. This fills the bill! Thank you so much!
At March 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM ,
Rachiie said...
My pan was more wide than deep so I only needed 1/2 tsp of oil and I used 1/2 tsp of Korean BBQ marinade to give it an interesting flavour with minimal effort.
At March 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I can't even begin to tell you how much we love this recipe! We've made it 3 times since you've posted it & it's become a normal part of our weekly menu - fajita Fridays!
Thank you for sharing!
At March 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM ,
Kate said...
This is amazing. We tried it last night and fell in love. I can honestly say I've never had better fajitas in a restaurant. So good!
At March 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM ,
Jessica said...
Made this last night-- actually did the prep the night before and popped it in the oven in the afternoon. Delicious-- a big hit w/ the fam.
At March 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM ,
Div said...
This was an awesome recipe,
I made it 2 days in a row, first day with just vegetables, and the second day with chicken,
loved it each time :)
At March 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM ,
Div said...
It was awesome !!
Made it two nights in a row because it was so good :)
At March 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM ,
Anonymous said...
This was so easy and tasted fantastic i cannot wait to make it again
I cannot buy the ready made packets where i live so this is perfect
Thankyou
From Turkey
At March 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM ,
Susan said...
I work twelve hour days and I get home late. My sweetie is on shifts so he's often off the days when I am working. I am always looking for healthful, home cooked dinners that I can put together in advance for him to pop in the oven so we can eat when I get home. This is perfect and a nice change of pace from stews in the crock pot! Thanks!
At March 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM ,
Moon said...
Hi, I'm amazed by the simplicity of this recipe. I definitely want to try it, and I will follow your fajitas spice mix too, as I had already loooved your taco mix!
But before that, I wanted to make sure of something: for how many people is this recipe? English is not my first language and I didn't understand "Servings Per Recipe: 4 (two fajitas each)"
Does it mean 2 fajitas per serving? It would be then 8 fajitas right? Or does it mean 4 fajitas for 2 people (then we have 2 fajitas each)?
At March 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM ,
Beth M said...
Moon - You are correct. The recipe makes about 8 fajitas, but it will depend on the size of your vegetables. I hope you enjoy it! :D
At March 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM ,
Anonymous said...
These are succulent, easy to make, and a family fav! Your a kitchen legend!!!
At March 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM ,
Trisha said...
I do have one question, does this recipe work for the beef fajitas recipe you have posted?
At March 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM ,
Beth M said...
Trisha - it probably would, although you have to be careful because sometimes beef can be a little more tough. Make sure to slice the beef across the grain.
At April 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM ,
Sara said...
We made these tonight, and although I thought the flavor was great, the vegetables (at least for us) turned out mushy and not so much authentic fajita style. Were your veggies soft? The only thing I added that you did not have was 4oz of mushrooms. I'm wondering if the water from those contributed to the texture issue?
Even with them being a bit mushy, everyone gobbled them up, so can't really complain about your free, delicious recipes :)
At April 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM ,
Beth M said...
Sara - My vegetables weren't as crispy/charred as regular grill fajitas, for sure, but they weren't too mushy either. I think the trick is to roast them in a dish where they're not so crowded, so that the moisture can evaporate off of the vegetables instead of them stewing in the moisture. If you need to, divide the vegetables up between two dishes (it can also be done on baking sheets) so that they are spread out enough. Mushrooms do have quite a bit of moisture, so I'm sure that added to it as well. I hope that helps! :)
At April 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM ,
McKayla said...
Loved this recipe! Thanks. They were awesome! I also added mushrooms and zucchini
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home