Budget Bytes

31 January 2013

salsa chicken casserole

$8.58 recipe / $1.43 serving
I'm still all about these easy, one dish dinners. This one is very similar to the ultra popular Taco Chicken Bowls, but it's made in the oven and takes about an hour, as opposed to eight in a slow cooker. The directions go something like this: dump, stir, cover, cook, eat, be happy.

One little jar of salsa adds so much flavor to this dish that I almost feel like it's cheating and the little bit of cheddar on top really made it rich and satisfying. Next time I might even try a little dollop of sour cream! Either way, this recipe was a no brainer to make and a definite tummy pleaser!

I used a couple Budget Bytes tricks to make it more affordable. As usual, I used reconstituted bouillon for the broth instead of canned chicken broth. I've also been buying big 2lb. bags of shredded cheese and then dividing them into four freezer bags (2 cups each, the same size as normal bags of shredded cheese) and this really saves me a lot. Then there's the chicken. I still only buy my chicken breasts on sale. I can usually get them for $1.99/lb. (sometimes less!) if I really keep an eye out. I know not everyone will be able to find this deal, but it's worth mentioning and looking out for!

Salsa Chicken Casserole

Salsa Chicken Casserole

Print Friendly and PDF

Total Recipe cost: $8.58
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Cost per serving: $1.43
Prep time: 5 min. Cook time: 1 hr. Total: 1 hr. 5 min.

INGREDIENTS COST
1 cup uncooked rice $0.33
1 cup frozen corn kernels (thawed) $0.52
1 (15 oz.) can black beans $1.39
1 (16 oz.) jar salsa $1.99
1 cup chicken broth $0.15
1/2 Tbsp chili powder $0.10
1/2 tsp oregano $0.03
2 large (1.5 lbs.) chicken breasts $2.99
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese $0.94
2 whole green onions, sliced $0.17
TOTAL $8.58

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Drain and briefly rinse the black beans. Add the dry rice, black beans, corn, salsa, chicken broth, chili powder, and oregano to an 8x8 inch casserole dish. Stir until everything is evenly combined.

STEP 2: Cut the chicken breasts into three pieces each. Push the chicken pieces down into the rice salsa mixture in the casserole dish. Try to push them down as far into the liquid as they'll go. Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil. Bake for one hour.

STEP 3: Take the casserole dish out of the oven, test the rice with a fork to make sure it is tender. If it is not, recover the dish, return it to the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes more. When the rice is tender, sprinkle the cheese over top and return the casserole to the oven for a few minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Add the sliced green onions on top after baking and serve hot.

NOTE: If your chicken and frozen corn are still partially frozen, the casserole will take longer to cook. So, make sure they're both thawed before hand.

Salsa Chicken Casserole

Step By Step Photos


dump
Add the rice, beans, corn, and salsa to an 8x8 casserole dish. BUT, drain and rinse the beans first and thaw the corn first. I didn't thaw my corn and it slowed my casserole down.

seasoning
Add a cup of chicken broth to give the rice enough liquid to cook in (it will also get some liquid from the salsa). I decided after the fact to add a little extra chili powder and oregano, but you don't have to stir the other ingredients together first. Stir those spices right in.

chicken
Cut each chicken breast into three pieces. My chicken was still partially frozen (I forgot to put it in the fridge the night before). If it was completely thawed, I would have flattened these pieces out a little bit more.

nestle chicken
Push the chicken pieces down into the rice mixture - probably more so than I did here (I learn as I go, too).

bake
Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil to hold all the steam in, and bake it in a preheated 375 degree oven for one hour. After an hour, use a fork to test some of the rice and make sure that it's tender. If it's not, simply recover the dish and bake a little bit longer (10-15 minutes). If your chicken and corn were thawed (unlike mine), you probably won't need to put it back in the oven.

cheese onions
Once you know the rice is fully cooked, sprinkle some cheese over top and pop it back in the oven for just a few more minutes to melt the cheese. Then, when it comes out, add the sliced green onions on top. The end!

closer
Want to look closer? Why not! nom.

Salsa Chicken Casserole
Easy dinners make me happy.

Labels: , , , , ,

45 Comments:

  • At January 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM , Blogger WanderinginMn said...

    Looks fabulous and easy peasy! I wonder if Instant Brown Rice would work??? I may have to try it and report back.

     
  • At January 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Mina said...

    How well do you think this would freeze? It looks amazing for work lunches!

     
  • At January 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Mina - I think this would freeze excellently!

     
  • At January 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM , Blogger SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

    Excellent! I've been buying my chicken breast at Sam's - they're usually $1.99 or $1.88 there!

     
  • At January 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM , Anonymous Liz P said...

    Mmm this looks delish! I love your taco chicken bowls and this looks even better...think I'll be making this on the weekend. YAY!! LOVE your site Beth :)

     
  • At February 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM , Anonymous Kathy @ Painlessly Delicious said...

    Looks great. I'm in Canada, where boneless, skinless, chicken breasts are super-expensive, unfortunately.

     
  • At February 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM , Anonymous Jess @ On Sugar Mountain said...

    I don't know which one I like better know, the chicken bowls or the casseroleeee :O I guess I will have to make both and see! :D

     
  • At February 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Gina said...

    Kathy, i bet you could use bone-in thighs and it would be amazing. It may add to the cooking time, but the bones would add to the flavor too!

     
  • At February 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM , Anonymous Daisy@add-vodka.com said...

    This looks fabulous. I might have to try (but shred the chicken)

     
  • At February 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM , Anonymous Jennifer N. said...

    I just made a big batch of (not) refried beans. Do you think they would work in this, in place of the canned beans?

     
  • At February 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Jennifer - I think it might be difficult to stir in smashed beans like you can the whole beans. I think you're better off using whole.

     
  • At February 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    I put this in with uncooked brown rice and after an hour the rice wasn't cooked at all. Did you use instant rice when you made it?

     
  • At February 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    I used plain white rice (not instant)... brown rice does take quite a bit longer to cook than white rice normally, so I'm not sure how long it would take with this method.

     
  • At February 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM , Blogger emdanut said...

    Made this last night! I doubled the recipe, added 1 chopped red pepper, and used chicken tenders instead of breast. My rice was still a little firm after an hour (even though the chicken and corn were thawed) so I put it back in for 12 minutes and then it was perfect. We all loved it.

     
  • At February 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Could you do this in a crock pot? How long would you cook it?

     
  • At February 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Anonymous - I think if you used a crock pot you could pretty much just follow the directions for the Taco Chicken Bowls. I've never done it with the rice in the crock pot too, but I think it would work!

     
  • At February 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM , Blogger GeneralSpecific said...

    I tried it with Jasmine rice, and it was delicious, but it needed about 1 1/2 cups more liquid and about 25 more minutes. I found that the chicken was juicy and properly cooked, even with the extra cooking time. It does indeed make excellent lunches to take with to work! I'll definitely be making this recipe again.

     
  • At February 3, 2013 at 7:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wouldn't recommend doing rice in a crockpot because it's just too tricky to time it along with everything else that would be in with it. I'd also be afraid it'd be too gummy.

    We buy a lot of those flash-frozen breasts -- they tend to be cheaper than fresh in my area -- and the directions on them to say cook them frozen for about 45 minutes. I'm going to try this yummy recipe with those, and I'll let you know how it turns out!

    BTW, Beth, I love your site! I've made who knows how many of your dishes :)

     
  • At February 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM , Anonymous Cari Hartman said...

    Beth,

    I want to make this for dinner tomorrow night, I have both brown rice and instant brown. Do you think I could either assemble it this evening to allow it to take less cooking time or can cook the rice ahead? I'm having company for dinner so I want it to turn out good.

     
  • At February 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Cari - Definitely use the instant brown rice. Another reader tried it with regular brown rice and it did not cook fully. I'm not sure how much extra time it will need to bake because of the fact that it will be cold when it goes into the oven. Check the texture of the rice at 45 minutes (in case the instant brown rice cooks extra fast) and if it's not done, keep adding 15 minutes to the baking time until it is tender.

     
  • At February 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM , Blogger Katie said...

    I made this tonight and it is delish! I didn't buy to spicy of a salsa so next time I would add something to boost the heat. This one is a keeper. Thank you for sharing!

     
  • At February 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM , Blogger Sparkles67 said...

    I just made this with hot salsa, a pinch of cayenne pepper and used a mix of sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheeses. Talk about HOT and SPICY...Delish! To cut down on some of the sodium content, I also used black beans in the can that were lower sodium and reduced sodium fat-free chicken broth. This is not for the faint of heart - if you like it hot and spicy, this is the way to go! With a touch of sour cream and the green onions to top, this is the ATOMIC BOMB! Hmmm. Hmmm. Hmmm.

     
  • At February 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Kess said...

    This is great. I made it last night, (half batch in a bread pan) and actually forgot to put the cheese on - it was still great.

    I remembered this time with the leftovers though, and the cheese does make it amazing!

     
  • At February 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM , Anonymous Liz P said...

    I cooked mine as instructed at 350 for an hour and the rice and even the chicken was still uncooked....I don't know what I've done wrong but I've put in it for another 30 mins and I'll see what it's like then. Kind of disappointed but it smells wonderful...even uncooked!! :p

     
  • At February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM , Anonymous Liz P said...

    SUCCESS!! It just needed a bit more time and liquid and now with the melted cheese, OMG it looks awesome! :D

     
  • At February 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM , Anonymous MamaClark said...

    Zaycon Foods sells antibiotic/hormone free and cage free chicken breasts. You can sometimes catch a sale where they're $1.79/lb but you have to buy in bulk. Split it with a friend and save!

     
  • At February 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cooked exactly as instructed and my chicken came out still raw, too... Hoping I don't overcook it. I have no idea how much longer to put it in for.

     
  • At February 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM , Anonymous Liz P said...

    Ate it tonight for supper and it was SOOO YUMMY!!

     
  • At February 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM , Anonymous Amber H said...

    This looks so yummy and family friendly, which is what I think I like about this the most!!

    Will definitely be trying this out!

     
  • At February 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cut the chicken up into bite size pieces to avoid undercooking. And don't use regular brown rice.

     
  • At February 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM , Blogger leilabelle said...

    This came out perfect! No extra time added, followed recipe word for word. (except I used bullion powder) All 4 boys in my house really enjoyed it!! Thank you Beth for such a quick, easy, budget friendly recipe!!

     
  • At February 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Made this tonight -- easy and delicious! I substituted long-grain brown rice, used bone-in chicken thighs (breasts were very expensive at my grocery store) and just used water instead of chicken broth (no need to add more flavor to this very tasty dish). It took about 1 hr 15 min for my rice to fully cook, so not too much longer than the recipe states.

     
  • At February 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Jamy said...

    I tried it with brown rice. WORD OF CAUTION. It took almost DOUBLE the time to cook it! It was yummy! Thicker than I thought it would be, but I liked that about it. Perfect with a dollop of sour cream!

     
  • At February 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Lashae Karsin said...

    I made this for dinner this evening and absolutely love it! I also made it with brown rice; it took about 25-30 extra minutes for the rice to fully cook, but it tasted amazing!

     
  • At February 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just tried this recipe after drooling over it for a few weeks. Wonderful! It's on the "make again" list!

     
  • At February 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

    I made this for supper. I used quick cooking brown rice, and it turned out great! I cooked it for an hour. Delicious!

     
  • At March 1, 2013 at 3:43 AM , Blogger Sue xx said...

    I'm going to try it with ground beef(lightly browned and basmati rice(better for diabetics)...will be great
    xx

     
  • At March 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Has this last night, very enjoyable! Thank You!!

     
  • At March 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's currently in the oven cooking.. Made it with brown rice (Was the only kind I had, that and basmati but figured brown would be better) and also, since I am super tight this week and didn't have chicken.. I used ground beef. I cook the beef previously, and I plan to add it on top once it's done cooking before adding the cheese. Ah, and I didn't have chicken broth, so I made it with beef broth! Which is great since i'm using ground beef anyway lol. Thanks again for this amazing recipe!

     
  • At March 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    have this in the oven now:)
    so excited to try it.
    yet i have no doubt that it will be nothing less than delicious.
    i love your blog! amazing food.
    cannot wait for your cook book!

     
  • At March 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Made this a couple of weeks ago and ate it for lunch all week. Loved it, but after being semi-vegetarian for a couple months I didn't LOVE the chicken....so I made it again today...added a can of pinto beans and a pound of cooked mushrooms instead of the chicken...AMAZING. I think I love it even more. I also added a 1/2 tsp of cumin, because no southwest recipe is complete with out some cumin :D

     
  • At April 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM , Blogger Tintin said...

    Made this tonight. Super easy, super delicious! We especially appreciated how it didn't take any dishes except the colander and the baking dish. If you can post more like that, we'll continue to eat them up!

     
  • At April 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM , Anonymous HU said...

    mmmmmmm get in muhhhh belly!! i cant wait to make this! I am married to a vegetarian so i always look to your recipes for my meat fixes! and i do use your vegetarian dishes!

     
  • At May 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM , Anonymous Danielle A. said...

    I am going with other posters, Was I supposed to use Instant?
    My brown rice is not cooking. Right now I am trying to salvage dinner, because we're hungry. :(

     
  • At May 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Danielle - Sorry it didn't work out for you... I used plain white rice (but not instant), which cooks much faster and with less liquid than brown rice. You would probably need to make some changes to the recipe to make brown rice work correctly, but I haven't experimented with it to give adequate advice.

     

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home