pesto chickpea salad $3.98 recipe / $1.00 serving
I've been loving "quick fixes" lately because I'm cooking triple time in preparation for the cookbook. So, at the end of the day the last thing I want is something elaborate, time consuming, and dirty dish-creating. I just want something easy and delicious. Well, this salad takes about 10 minutes to whip up and will satisfy both your stomach AND your taste buds. As a matter of fact, it might be the most excitement your taste buds have seen a while. Pesto is seriously flavorful.
There were at least five brands of pesto at my grocery store, ranging from $1.99 to over $6, all for about the same size container. So, be sure to scour the shelves and get the best deal because that will either make or break the cost of the recipe. And hey, if you've got a bunch of fresh basil growing in your yard, make your own pesto! It will be even mo' bettah!
You can eat this salad several ways. Straight out of the bowl (like I was trying not to do), on a bed of salad greens, stuffed into a pita with some sliced tomato, or even as a cracker dip. It's good no matter what and fairly addicting, if I do say so myself.
Oh, this can easily be made vegan, too. Just sub the mayonnaise with some vegannaise!
Total Recipe cost: $3.98
Servings Per Recipe: 4 (1 cup each)
Cost per serving: $1.00
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 0 min. Total: 10 min.
STEP 1: Empty the cans of chickpeas into a colander and rinse well with cool water. Allow the excess water to drain away. Give it a shake or two to help the water drain off.
STEP 2: In a large bowl stir together the pesto, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Add the drained chickpeas. Stir it together and lightly mash the beans.
STEP 3: Pull the parsley leaves from their stems and give them a rough chop. Thinly slice the onion or cut it into a small dice. Stir the parsley and onion into the chickpea mixture and serve.
Rinse the chickpeas in a colander and let the water drain off.
This is the pesto that I found for only $1.99. It's super potent so you don't need to use a lot. I used only 1/3 of this jar and the rest will keep for quite a while in the refrigerator. You can find usually find pesto in a few different places - near salad dressings, near pasta sauces, or near pickled items like artichoke hearts and olives.
Be careful when opening your pesto because the oil will all be on top and it will jump out at you... or at least mine did. You'll need to give the pesto a good stir to mix the oil back in.
Stir together the mayo, pesto, and lemon juice. The creamy mayo makes a nice companion to the sharp pesto and kind of mellows things out, while the lemon juice freshens it up.
Stir together pesto/mayo and the drained chickpeas.
Mash up some of the chickpeas as you mix it together. This makes it more like an egg salad or tuna salad texture.

Add the roughly chopped parsley and thinly sliced (or diced) onions and stir everything together.

TA-DA! You're done and you've got a delicious, healthy meal. Pat yourself on the back.

There were at least five brands of pesto at my grocery store, ranging from $1.99 to over $6, all for about the same size container. So, be sure to scour the shelves and get the best deal because that will either make or break the cost of the recipe. And hey, if you've got a bunch of fresh basil growing in your yard, make your own pesto! It will be even mo' bettah!
You can eat this salad several ways. Straight out of the bowl (like I was trying not to do), on a bed of salad greens, stuffed into a pita with some sliced tomato, or even as a cracker dip. It's good no matter what and fairly addicting, if I do say so myself.
Oh, this can easily be made vegan, too. Just sub the mayonnaise with some vegannaise!
Pesto Chickpea Salad
Total Recipe cost: $3.98
Servings Per Recipe: 4 (1 cup each)
Cost per serving: $1.00
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 0 min. Total: 10 min.
| INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 2 (15 oz.) cans | chickpeas / garbanzo beans | $2.54 |
| 1/4 cup | pesto | $0.66 |
| 1/4 cup | mayonnaise | $0.33 |
| 1 Tbsp | lemon juice | $0.06 |
| 1/4 small | red onion | $0.14 |
| 1/4 bunch | fresh parsley | $0.25 |
| TOTAL | $3.98 | |
STEP 1: Empty the cans of chickpeas into a colander and rinse well with cool water. Allow the excess water to drain away. Give it a shake or two to help the water drain off.
STEP 2: In a large bowl stir together the pesto, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Add the drained chickpeas. Stir it together and lightly mash the beans.
STEP 3: Pull the parsley leaves from their stems and give them a rough chop. Thinly slice the onion or cut it into a small dice. Stir the parsley and onion into the chickpea mixture and serve.
Step By Step Photos
Rinse the chickpeas in a colander and let the water drain off.
This is the pesto that I found for only $1.99. It's super potent so you don't need to use a lot. I used only 1/3 of this jar and the rest will keep for quite a while in the refrigerator. You can find usually find pesto in a few different places - near salad dressings, near pasta sauces, or near pickled items like artichoke hearts and olives.
Be careful when opening your pesto because the oil will all be on top and it will jump out at you... or at least mine did. You'll need to give the pesto a good stir to mix the oil back in.
Stir together the mayo, pesto, and lemon juice. The creamy mayo makes a nice companion to the sharp pesto and kind of mellows things out, while the lemon juice freshens it up.
Stir together pesto/mayo and the drained chickpeas.
Mash up some of the chickpeas as you mix it together. This makes it more like an egg salad or tuna salad texture.

Add the roughly chopped parsley and thinly sliced (or diced) onions and stir everything together.

TA-DA! You're done and you've got a delicious, healthy meal. Pat yourself on the back.

Labels: beans, easy, quick, salad, sandwich, sidedish, vegetarian

28 Comments:
At December 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM ,
Anonymous said...
If some one desires to be updated with most recent technologies
after that he must be pay a quick visit this website and be up to date daily.
My weblog ; old holborn
At December 5, 2012 at 8:47 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Thanks for finally talking about > "pesto chickpea salad $3.98 recipe / $1.00 serving" < Liked it!
My site: samson tobacco
At December 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I have been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I
never found any interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.
My page :: erinmore tobacco
At December 6, 2012 at 3:30 AM ,
Anonymous said...
magnificent points altogether, you simply received a brand new reader.
What may you suggest about your put up that
you made a few days ago? Any sure?
Also see my webpage :: amber leaf
At December 6, 2012 at 4:31 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Wow, you have a lot of spambots that apparently really love your site and speak in halting, broken, awkward English!
Glad to hear you are working on the book--any more details on it--my wife and I love your blog and are very very eager to get your book!
Phil
At December 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM ,
Dawn said...
I'm definitely trying this!
Just out of curiosity, how long does pesto last in the fridge?
At December 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM ,
Allison said...
Looking forward to the cookbook! Let us know!
At December 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM ,
Ashley Valadez said...
Thanks for this! I made a rather disappointing chickpea salad the other day with the regular tuna fixins but wasn't impressed. This, however, could save chickpea salad for me :) Also, will there be a vegetarian section in the cookbook? just curious!
At December 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM ,
Beth M said...
Ashley - Actually, most of the book is vegetarian so it's kind of opposite - there is a "meat" chapter! There may be a few meat recipes in other chapters, but a majority is vegetarian :) And there will be over 100 recipes so there will be plenty to choose from :D
At December 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM ,
Beth M said...
Dawn - I don't have a definitive time for how long the pesto will last, but it will last as long as other salad dressings. It's mostly oil, nuts, and parmesan cheese, all of which have a long refrigeration life :)
At December 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM ,
locaboca said...
I'm not a huge mayonnaise fan...does everything else overpower the mayonnaise flavor? This looks really good but I don't want to taste the mayonnaise. I know I'm weird but I own it. LOL :)
At December 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM ,
goodkarma said...
This recipe is so delicious, quick, and filling! I made it yesterday for lunch, had more for lunch today, and finished it off for dinner... And I usually like more variety in my day! I enjoyed it in a wrap and ate it with some crunchy Persian cucumbers, too. I didn't know your book will be mostly vegetarian. I don't eat a lot of meat so having tasty ideas with protein (beans, quinoa, etc) has been great, can't wait to get your book!
At December 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM ,
curly wigs said...
Thanks for your sharing, it's a good post, keep going and support you.
At December 8, 2012 at 7:21 AM ,
Beth M said...
Locaboca - haha, that's not weird. A lot of people don't like mayo. You can definitely make it without the mayo, it will just be less creamy and have less to sort of hold it together. You could try using an avocado in place of the mayo, that would be delicious and offer a similar creaminess and binding quality, or maybe even sour cream or greek yogurt.
At December 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM ,
Christoph Wagner said...
Awesome recipe, just made it and it tastes great and is so fast!
And for your upcoming book, any chance of adding metric measurements? I'd buy it if it had those but it's already a hassle having to the conversions on your website, in a cookbook I'd really like to have sane measurement units;)
At December 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM ,
Beth M said...
Christoph - Glad you liked the salad!! I don't have too many details on the book yet (still in the recipe development phase), but I think there are plans to sell international versions... if so, hopefully they'll be converted. I'll remember the request when we get to that stage!
At December 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM ,
Lara said...
Beth, I just made this, and I absolutely loved it. So many good tastes together. It was delicious.
I am a huge fan of yours. Keep these awesome recipes coming!
At December 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM ,
Unknown said...
I used chickpeas I had cooked in the crockpot and frozen-brought the cost down even further!
At December 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM ,
Tanya said...
What a yummy and easy salad. And my kids loved it! I served it with roasted veggies with feta and cold sliced chicken. Delish!
At December 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Good site you have here.. It's difficult to find quality writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!
Feel free to surf my homepage captain black
At December 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I make something like this quite often for sandwich filling to take to work. I don't use pesto (though I imagine pesto would be delicious, but it isn't the healthiest). I also use a LOT more lemon juice (probably 4T) and 2T of dried dill instead of parsley. That helps up the flavor! A recipe of this size makes about 6 sandwiches.
At December 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM ,
Alex Dumpfree said...
What a yummy and easy salad. And my kids loved it! I don't use pesto (though I imagine pesto would be delicious, but it isn't the healthiest). I also use a LOT more lemon juice (probably 4T) and 2T of dried dill instead of parsley.
At December 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I made this for a work potluck party and everyone LOVED it. I have sent this link to so many people who were asking me about the recipe. Its sooo delicious... I added a bit extra mayo.
At December 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM ,
vicky said...
Going to try this tonight!
Excited for the book and +1 about the metric measurements comment.
At January 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM ,
Anonymous said...
As a vegan I love using a single veryvery ripe avocado in this instead of mayo. Absolutely fabulous and a new go-to on nights I don't want to cook!
At January 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Where do you find pesto? The only one I found was by speghetti sauce and it was $5.99.
At January 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM ,
Beth M said...
Serena - Although every grocery store will be different, sometimes you can find pesto in a couple different places. Try looking near the pickled vegetables like artichoke hearts and kalamata olives. Some stores will also stock pesto and sun dried tomatoes near the produce section too. If you can't find a good price at that store, try exploring other grocery stores, too.
At March 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Super quick and easy and delicious!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home