chana saag $6.40 recipe / $1.07 serving
Sometimes, when I'm suffering from a creativity block, all I need to do is take a stroll through Whole Foods... the freezer aisle in particular. Yesterday I did just that and saw a frozen dinner called Chana Saag. I didn't look too closely, I just saw chickpeas and spinach and knew that's what I wanted to eat. Yummmmm.
I made this Indian Style Creamed Spinach a while back and although it was a little complex to make, it was one of the best things I had ever tasted. So, I decided to simplify that recipe, add chickpeas, and call it a day. I can proudly say that it was a very good day.
This recipe can be made either hot or mild depending on what type of curry powder you use, but either way the fragrant spices will be heady and flavorful. The evaporated milk adds just the right amount of natural sweetness and creamy flavor to balance those Indian spices. You can probably use coconut milk in its place, but be sure not to let it come up to a simmer or else it may curdle (I learned that the hard way in previous recipes).
I suggest serving this over rice or with some homemade naan to sop up the sauce. I served mine with some rice and while I usually go for jasmine rice, the Chana Saag was so flavorful that plain white rice did the job nicely.
Total Recipe cost: $6.40
Servings Per Recipe: 6 (1 cup each)
Cost per serving: $1.07
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 30 min. Total: 40 min.
STEP 1: Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add both to a large skillet with the olive oil. Use a vegetable peeler or the side of a spoon to scrape the skin from the ginger. Once peeled, grate the ginger on a cheese grater straight into the skillet. Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and transparent. While these are cooking, dice the tomato.
STEP 2: Add the curry powder and cumin to the skillet and continue to stir and cook for one minute more. Add the diced tomato and salt. Continue to cook for about five minutes more, or until the tomato has broken down and is no longer holding its diced shape.
STEP 3: Drain the chickpeas in a colander and give them a quick rinse. Add the rinsed chickpeas, frozen spinach, and a half cup of water to the skillet. Stir everything together and then bring it up to a simmer over medium heat. Let the mixture simmer for five minutes so that the flavors can meld and everything heats through.
STEP 4: After five minutes most of the water should have simmered away. Turn the heat down a bit (medium-low) and add the evaporated milk. Depending on how thick you want the sauce, you can either just heat through or let it simmer until thickened. If you prefer a smoother Chana Saag, you can use an immersion blender to purée some of the mixture, or transfer half of it to a blender and carefully purée it.* I left mine chunky. Once it's heated through, adjust the salt and curry powder to your liking.
*Remember, never purée hot mixtures. Allow it to cool slightly before puréeing in a blender.
First dice the onion, mince the garlic, and grate the ginger. Add them all to a large skillet with the olive oil. In the south we refer to as bell pepper, onion, and celery as the "holy trinity," but in my house, THIS is the holy trinity. SO GOOD.
If you've never used fresh ginger before, this is how I do it. I just use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin (some scrape it off with the side of a spoon) and then use a small cheese grater to grate it. If you don't have a small cheese grater, a larger one will also work, you'll just have larger pieces.
Sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger over medium low heat until they're soft and transparent. Then add the curry powder and cumin, and sauté for a minute more. The spices will stick to the bottom of the skillet, but it's okay because the juice from the tomatoes in the next step will dissolve it off. Just make sure that the heat is not up so high that they burn.
While the onions are sautéing, dice tomatoes. Add them to the skillet and sauté for about five minutes more, or until they tomatoes break down a bit. Oh yes, add the salt too because that will help them break down.
After five minutes it looks something like this. I have to admit, it smells and tastes pretty amazing at this point.
For this recipe I prefer to use chopped spinach that comes frozen loose in a bag. It has much less moisture than the kind that is frozen in a block, so I can just add it to the skillet without thawing or draining. If you use the block kind, you'll have to let it thaw and then squeeze out a bunch of water. Also, make SURE to get chopped or else you'll have stringy, long pieces of spinach.

Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add them to the skillet along with the frozen spinach and about a half cup of water. Turn the heat up to medium and let it all come up to a simmer. Let it simmer for about five minutes.

After it simmers for a few minutes, turn the heat down a touch and then pour in the evaporated milk.

Stir everything together, heat it through, taste, and adjust the salt and curry powder to your liking. You can let it simmer a bit longer if you want a thicker, less soupy mixture, but I kind of like that so that the rice or naan has something to soak up. If you want a smoother, less chunky Chana Saag, you can use an immersion or stick blender to puree some of the mixture, which will also thicken it up some.

Whatever texture you choose, it's freaking delicious.
I made this Indian Style Creamed Spinach a while back and although it was a little complex to make, it was one of the best things I had ever tasted. So, I decided to simplify that recipe, add chickpeas, and call it a day. I can proudly say that it was a very good day.
This recipe can be made either hot or mild depending on what type of curry powder you use, but either way the fragrant spices will be heady and flavorful. The evaporated milk adds just the right amount of natural sweetness and creamy flavor to balance those Indian spices. You can probably use coconut milk in its place, but be sure not to let it come up to a simmer or else it may curdle (I learned that the hard way in previous recipes).
I suggest serving this over rice or with some homemade naan to sop up the sauce. I served mine with some rice and while I usually go for jasmine rice, the Chana Saag was so flavorful that plain white rice did the job nicely.
Chana Saag
Total Recipe cost: $6.40
Servings Per Recipe: 6 (1 cup each)
Cost per serving: $1.07
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 30 min. Total: 40 min.
| INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 2 Tbsp | olive oil | $0.32 |
| 1 medium | onion | $0.36 |
| 2 cloves | garlic | $0.16 |
| 2 inches | fresh ginger | $0.15 |
| 1 Tbsp | curry powder (hot or mild) | $0.30 |
| 1 tsp | cumin | $0.05 |
| 3/4 tsp | salt | $0.05 |
| 1 large | tomato | $0.84 |
| 1 lb. | frozen chopped spinach | $1.53 |
| 1 (19 oz.) can | chickpeas | $1.65 |
| 1 (12 oz.) can | evaporated milk | $0.99 |
| 1/2 cup | water | $0.00 |
| TOTAL | $6.40 | |
STEP 1: Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add both to a large skillet with the olive oil. Use a vegetable peeler or the side of a spoon to scrape the skin from the ginger. Once peeled, grate the ginger on a cheese grater straight into the skillet. Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and transparent. While these are cooking, dice the tomato.
STEP 2: Add the curry powder and cumin to the skillet and continue to stir and cook for one minute more. Add the diced tomato and salt. Continue to cook for about five minutes more, or until the tomato has broken down and is no longer holding its diced shape.
STEP 3: Drain the chickpeas in a colander and give them a quick rinse. Add the rinsed chickpeas, frozen spinach, and a half cup of water to the skillet. Stir everything together and then bring it up to a simmer over medium heat. Let the mixture simmer for five minutes so that the flavors can meld and everything heats through.
STEP 4: After five minutes most of the water should have simmered away. Turn the heat down a bit (medium-low) and add the evaporated milk. Depending on how thick you want the sauce, you can either just heat through or let it simmer until thickened. If you prefer a smoother Chana Saag, you can use an immersion blender to purée some of the mixture, or transfer half of it to a blender and carefully purée it.* I left mine chunky. Once it's heated through, adjust the salt and curry powder to your liking.
*Remember, never purée hot mixtures. Allow it to cool slightly before puréeing in a blender.
Step By Step Photos
First dice the onion, mince the garlic, and grate the ginger. Add them all to a large skillet with the olive oil. In the south we refer to as bell pepper, onion, and celery as the "holy trinity," but in my house, THIS is the holy trinity. SO GOOD.
If you've never used fresh ginger before, this is how I do it. I just use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin (some scrape it off with the side of a spoon) and then use a small cheese grater to grate it. If you don't have a small cheese grater, a larger one will also work, you'll just have larger pieces.
Sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger over medium low heat until they're soft and transparent. Then add the curry powder and cumin, and sauté for a minute more. The spices will stick to the bottom of the skillet, but it's okay because the juice from the tomatoes in the next step will dissolve it off. Just make sure that the heat is not up so high that they burn.
While the onions are sautéing, dice tomatoes. Add them to the skillet and sauté for about five minutes more, or until they tomatoes break down a bit. Oh yes, add the salt too because that will help them break down.
After five minutes it looks something like this. I have to admit, it smells and tastes pretty amazing at this point.
For this recipe I prefer to use chopped spinach that comes frozen loose in a bag. It has much less moisture than the kind that is frozen in a block, so I can just add it to the skillet without thawing or draining. If you use the block kind, you'll have to let it thaw and then squeeze out a bunch of water. Also, make SURE to get chopped or else you'll have stringy, long pieces of spinach.

Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add them to the skillet along with the frozen spinach and about a half cup of water. Turn the heat up to medium and let it all come up to a simmer. Let it simmer for about five minutes.

After it simmers for a few minutes, turn the heat down a touch and then pour in the evaporated milk.

Stir everything together, heat it through, taste, and adjust the salt and curry powder to your liking. You can let it simmer a bit longer if you want a thicker, less soupy mixture, but I kind of like that so that the rice or naan has something to soak up. If you want a smoother, less chunky Chana Saag, you can use an immersion or stick blender to puree some of the mixture, which will also thicken it up some.

Whatever texture you choose, it's freaking delicious.
Labels: beans, Indian, main dish, vegetables, vegetarian


25 Comments:
At May 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM ,
HeatherB said...
I am making this! Looks super delicious and I have all the ingredients at home already ^_^
At May 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM ,
Jacalynz said...
Would coconut milk be an acceptable alternative to evaporated milk?
At May 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM ,
Beth M said...
Jacalynz - Yep, I think coconut milk would work fine, but you just have to make sure to add it at the end and not simmer it afterwards because coconut milk can curdle if heated too much.
At May 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM ,
Iris L. said...
Omg yum! Definitely want to try this. Please post more freezer meal hacks! :9
At May 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM ,
JPotemkin said...
Any chance some boneless, skinless chicken thighs would fit in during the onion saute period?
At May 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM ,
Beth M said...
JPotemkin - Yeah, that would probably work great! You can just make sure to simmer everything long enough later so that the chicken cooks through. Thighs are usually not that thick, so it shouldn't take that long.
At May 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM ,
JPotemkin said...
Awesome, thanks! I've got a whole pile of frozen thighs I need to do something with, and I need high protein meals. Also, your blog is fantastic!
At May 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Can this be made with fresh spinach?
At May 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM ,
Beth M said...
Yes, it will saute down in just a few minutes (add it at the same time as the frozen spinach). You'll want to chop it up first, though, or puree the mixture at the end.
At May 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM ,
Kiki said...
I just made something similar this week. A can of chickpeas, a bag of frozen spinach, and sauteed mushrooms seasoned with salt and pepper, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and cumin. I can't believe what a stellar combination chickpeas and spinach make. I can't wait to try this next for a different flavor combination.
At May 7, 2013 at 8:46 PM ,
Eileen said...
This looks so amazing! I could eat it right now. (Granted, I am in fact very hungry for dinner, which is currently puttering away on the stove...but still.) Chickpeas and greens for the win!
At May 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM ,
Anonymous said...
This looks delish! Thanks for sharing. I still make that pea and tuna dish you posted years ago. mmmmm
At May 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM ,
Rachael Young said...
I tried this and it was amazing! Even my picky four-year-old loved it. Thanks for the great recipe!
At May 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM ,
Unknown said...
I made this last night and it was fabulous. My roommie liked it too. I brought left overs for lunch today and I have more leftovers for tomorrow. Super easy and fast. Thanks so much! Love your recipes!
At May 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM ,
Angela Says said...
Made it for dinner last night. Substituted coconut milk because I am lactose intolerant, and fresh spinach since I had it on hand. Scrumptious! Wonderful! I just ate my leftovers for lunch and I'm lamenting the loss...
At May 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I like the valuаblе іnfo you
suрply to your aгtiсles. I will boοκmaгk your blοg аnd taκe a lοоk at onсe mоre гight here fгеquently.
I am slіghtly sure I will be tοlԁ lots оf nеω stuff pгοpеr hеre!
Good lucκ fοr thе following!
Havе а loоκ аt mу
wеbsite - hcg shots weight loss
At May 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM ,
Fran Von d said...
Just made recipe using coconut milk. Great recipe. Thanks
At May 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM ,
Unknown said...
Yummy. On the stove simmering to thicken the sauce, and it tastes so incredible! Thank you for a fantastic recipe I will definitely make again. You're blog is an inspiration, and I have yet to have tried a recipe I didn't love.
At May 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I just had THREE bowls of this for lunch over brown rice. My two year old picked out the chickpeas and only ate those, but at least he's being exposed to the flavors, right? I used canned tomatoes and ground ginger so it was entirely from my freezer and pantry, and I can't wait to make it again. So delicious.
At May 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM ,
j.datko said...
Made this for dinner tonight, it turned out FABULOUS! I used fresh spinnach since I had a bag of it in my fridge that was a day or two away from going off (though it ended up not being quite as much as you used), added 1/4tsp of cayenne pepper since I don't have hot curry powder, and pureed about 1/3 of it with my immersion blender to thicken it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE saag and had no idea it was this easy, I'm definitely going to be making this a lot! I have a whole container left and will definitely be getting several more meals out of this!
At May 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM ,
mtbiketx said...
This is a great recipe, thanks for sharing it. It was very flavorful and was full of great vegetables. I thought that I had a can of evaporated milk in the pantry, but I did not, so I substituted a can of coconut milk. This was an amazing addition to the flavor profile as well. It might be the way I end of making this recipe in the future.
At May 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM ,
mtbiketx said...
This is a great recipe, thanks for sharing it. It was very flavorful and was full of great vegetables. I thought that I had a can of evaporated milk in the pantry, but I did not, so I substituted a can of coconut milk. This was an amazing addition to the flavor profile as well. It might be the way I end of making this recipe in the future.
At May 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM ,
Mary-Margaret said...
Hey Beth (or anyone!): my grocery didn't have fresh ginger this week, and I cannot wait another day to try this! If I used the powdered ginger from the spice aisle, how much would you say to put in? I'll likely play with it a bit, but wanted to see if anyone had a rough estimate. Thanks!
At May 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM ,
Beth M said...
Mary-Margaret - I think I would start with a 1/2 teaspoon and work up from there. :)
At May 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM ,
Michelle said...
I loved this! I really let it cook down and pureed about 1/3-1/2 of it. It was absolutely delicious.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home