Budget Bytes

19 April 2013

funky monkey baked oatmeal

$3.88 recipe / $0.49 serving
Oh, this one is so much fun! (and delicious!)

I really wanted to do some sort of peanut butter baked oatmeal, but I couldn't figure out what to put with it... until I thought about how mashed bananas have made the best baked oatmeals, texture-wise. And then it all just came together. What goes better with peanut butter and banana than coconut and chocolate chips? Nothing! It's Funky-Monkey-Fun up in here!

I wanted to use large flake unsweetened coconut to reduce the sugar content and add texture, but I wasn't able to make it out Whole Foods (they have it in bulk bins). My local grocery store only had the finely shredded, pre-sweetened coconut, so I went with it. I reduced the sugar content from my normal baked oatmeal recipes by half to compensate for the sugar in the coconut and chocolate chips, but honestly, I might even try it without any extra sugar next time.

This oatmeal has just a hint of peanut butter flavor, so if you like super peanutty-ness, increase the PB to 1/3 cup. And, as always, natural peanut butter has loads more peanut flavor than other peanut butter (you know, the big name brand kinds).

And lastly, with all off the goodies baked into this, you really don't need to add coconut, bananas, and chocolate chips on top in the bowl like I have in the pictures. I did that purely for illustrative purposes... you know, so people would be able to instantly see what's in there and not wonder what that brown blob of stuff is in the bowl. It's super flavorful by itself and super tasty with some cold milk poured over top!

Funky Monkey Baked Oatmeal

Funky Monkey Baked Oatmeal

Print Friendly and PDF

Total Recipe cost: $3.88
Servings Per Recipe: 6-8
Cost per serving: $0.49 (for 8 servings)


Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 45 min. Total: 1 hr.
INGREDIENTS COST
3-4 medium bananas $0.88
2 large eggs $0.50
2 Tbsp brown sugar $0.04
1/2 tsp vanilla extract $0.14
1 tsp baking powder $0.04
1/4 cup natural peanut butter $0.0.57
2 cups milk $0.50
1/4 tsp salt $0.02
2.5 cups old fashioned rolled oats $0.43
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips $0.50
1/3 cup shredded coconut $0.26
TOTAL $3.88

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mash the bananas with a fork until they are about half liquidy and half chunky. Start with just three bananas and add another if needed to make 1.5 cups.

STEP 2: Add the mashed bananas to a large bowl. Warm the peanut butter slightly in the microwave so that it is more fluid and can mix in easier. Add the peanut butter, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Whisk these ingredients together until smooth. Add the milk and whisk again.

STEP 3: Add the dry oats, chocolate chips, and shredded coconut to the bowl. Stir everything together until evenly combined. Lightly coat the inside of an 8x8 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour the oat mixture into the casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven.

SERVE: After baking, divide the dish into 6 or 8 servings. Scoop the oats out of the dish and break them up slightly in the bowl. Pour cold milk over top and enjoy!

The cooked oats can be placed in individual resealable containers and either refrigerated or frozen until ready to eat. Simply reheat in the microwave before eating or enjoy cold!

Funky Monkey Baked Oatmeal


Step By Step Photos


mash bananas
First begin to preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then, mash your bananas. I left mine a little chunky this time... because this is funky monkey! It usually takes me 3-4 bananas to make 1.5 cups. If you get a little extra, it's okay.

wet ingredients
Add the mashed bananas, eggs, peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl. Whisk these together until smooth.

milk
Once you have the thicker ingredients mixed well, add the milk and whisk again. I find it easier to do the thicker ingredients first and then add the milk, or else it gets too splashy.

dry ingredients
Lastly, add your dry ingredients: old-fashioned rolled oats, chocolate chips, and shredded coconut. Stir them into the liquid (use a large spoon as this stuff will get stuck in a whisk).

pour
Pour the finished mixture into an 8x8 inch casserole dish coated with non-stick spray.

bake
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, then serve!

Funky Monkey Baked Oatmeal
You really don't need to add anything to the top, just a splash of cold milk!

Funky Monkey Baked Oatmeal
The stuff on top just made it SO much prettier!

Baked Oatmeal FAQ's


Is baked oatmeal crunchy? Nope, it's like a more solid version of regular oatmeal. A little chewy around the edges, but soft and custardy on the inside.

Can I use quick oats? Yes, but it will have a LOT less texture... more mushy, in other words.

Can I used steel cut oats? I haven't experimented with this, but in general steel cut oats require a LOT more liquid and a much longer baking time, so you'd have to do some major tweaking to this recipe.

Can I use soy/almond milk instead of dairy milk? Readers have used those substitutes in my other baked oatmeal recipes with success, although I have not tried it myself.

Labels: , , ,

22 Comments:

  • At April 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I need to make another batch of oatmeal... I know what I'm making this time around lol!! Your baked oatmeals are the BEST and a staple in my house.

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM , Blogger The Former Carnivore said...

    Looks good....will leaving out the eggs adversely affect the outcome of the recipe?

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 5:57 AM , Anonymous Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar said...

    This looks like the perfect way to start the day!

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 5:59 AM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Former Carnivore - Leaving out the eggs will definitely change the texture, but I haven't tried it to see if it will still be delish despite the changes :)

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Stacy said...

    YUM! I'll be making this tomorrow!

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This looks AMAZING! I'm sad I don't have any bananas right now. This would be great to make ahead of time and bring to work as my morning breakfast. Thanks for a great recipe!

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM , Anonymous Karen Marie said...

    Beth,

    Looks DELICIOUS! Definitely trying this one.

    Two things: at the beginning of the post, it shows 0 cook time for a total of 15 minutes needed for the recipe. Also, under ingredients it states to preheat the oven to 375, then in the step x step instructions it shows 350.

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Thanks Karen! I got that all fixed up :)

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM , Anonymous Wendy said...

    Would almond butter work in place of the peanut butter, and would it affect the liquid:dry ratio if I used it? I have a huge jar sitting in my fridge and I'm looking for different ways to use it.

     
  • At April 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Wendy - Almond butter should work fine. The flavor will be slightly different, but it shouldn't affect the texture. :)

     
  • At April 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    BRASS MONKEY CHUNKY DAT FUNKY MONKEY

     
  • At April 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM , Anonymous Cari said...

    Oh Beth,
    This was amazing!!!! Wow!!! Used 3 bananas, 2 egg whites and 1 whole. I used 2 tbls of pnut butter and 1 tbls of PB2 ( I was out of pnut butter. I skipped the sugar like you suggested. Had unsweetened coconut and mini chocolate chips. ( I used 1/4 c). According to My fitness pal calories came out to 236 for 8 servings. This was amazing! I loved it! A nice low cal but super filling breakfast treat! You rock!!!

     
  • At April 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM , Anonymous sarah k @ the pajama chef said...

    definitely making this soon. baked oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts!!!!

     
  • At April 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM , Blogger *** said...

    This is fantastic! Made it yesterday (just a half-portion) and skipped sugar as you suggested... Never made baked oatmeal before, and I don't even know if I want to try any other kind. The Funke Monkey rocked my world! =)

     
  • At April 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM , Anonymous KAte said...

    Hey, I have a bunch of buttermilk...could I make this with buttermilk do you think? I expect it should bake up ok, but maybe have a slightly less sweeter taste.

     
  • At April 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Kate - I bet you could use buttermilk! Just make sure that you're a fan of buttermilk flavored things, though ;) And it will probably need the sugar to balance the acidity of the buttermilk.

     
  • At April 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hurrah, that's what I was looking for, what a stuff! existing here at this webpage, thanks admin of this web page.

    Here is my website; http://tv-gratuite.org/read_blog/112719/an-actual-review-of-bridal-holiday-travel-has-become-it-a-scam

     
  • At April 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM , Anonymous Leslie said...

    This was great! I think it's your best oatmeal recipe yet, with the apple one in close second.

     
  • At April 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Teaspoonzz said...

    I can never find rolled oats. I just find quick oats at the store (usually walmart or wegmans), is there some adjustment I need to make for this? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong name for "rolled oats" Can you take a screen shot of your oatmeal?

     
  • At April 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Teaspoonzz - I used to buy my oats at Walmart all the time. They are usually labeled "Old-Fashioned Oats" They sell them in the big canisters just like the quick oats. The old-fashioned oats cook pretty quickly, too, though. Mine only take a minute and a half in the microwave (the package says cooks in 5 minutes). Old-fashioned oats are just as common as quick oats, but the packages are almost identical, so I bet you just never noticed that they were different (or that old-fashioned was another name for rolled oats).

    You can make this with quick oats, but the texture will be more mushy. I hope you can find the old-fashioned oats!

     
  • At April 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM , Blogger mightytangelo said...

    Looks delicious! Only way it could have been better is if you used the banana slicer!

     
  • At May 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Sarah Jane said...

    this was so good! tasted like chocolate chip banana bread to me! i was hesitant about the coconut, but really enjoyed it! I think next time I might try it without coconut, but either way, super indulgent yet relatively healthy breakfast treat!

     

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home