taco seasoning $0.34 batch
I used to be a "packet seasoning" junkie. It just seemed so easy. But really, how difficult is it to measure out a few spices? It takes five minutes, max. So, I've experimented with different combinations of spices for taco seasoning over the past year, and I think today I found the winner! One batch of this is roughly equal to one of those packets that you can get at the grocery store and it's 10 times more flavorful. You can even mix up big batches of it and store it pre-mixed in an air-tight container.
I use a flat cost estimate for herbs and spices because they're just too hard to measure/weigh, so this cost is purely an estimate. I generally estimate five cents for every teaspoon, unless it's a particularly expensive herb. For salt I generally estimate half that. So, take the cost of this recipe with a grain of salt (har har har).
I really think the smoked paprika made the flavor of this seasoning pop, but if you can't get it, use regular paprika in place of it.
It's also worth noting that I usually use fresh garlic and onions in whatever I'm making with my taco seasoning, so there is no garlic or onion powder in this mix. If you won't be using fresh, you'll probably want to add some powdered.

Total Recipe cost: $0.34
Prep time: 5 min. Total: 5 min.
STEP 1: Combine everything in a small bowl and stir until evenly mixed. Corn starch is optional but it will help thicken any sauce or absorb excess moisture in whatever you add the taco seasoning to (commercial taco seasoning packets contain corn starch).

Combine the chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne, oregano, freshly cracked black pepper, and salt in a bowl. I would say this mix is "medium" spicy. Adjust the cayenne to make it more or less spicy.

Stir until evenly mixed.

Add corn starch to help thicken whatever you're adding the taco seasoning to. It also helps prevent sogginess from moisture that may seep out of vegetables or other ingredients.

Store the taco seasoning in an air-tight container in a cool dark place until ready to use.
I use a flat cost estimate for herbs and spices because they're just too hard to measure/weigh, so this cost is purely an estimate. I generally estimate five cents for every teaspoon, unless it's a particularly expensive herb. For salt I generally estimate half that. So, take the cost of this recipe with a grain of salt (har har har).
I really think the smoked paprika made the flavor of this seasoning pop, but if you can't get it, use regular paprika in place of it.
It's also worth noting that I usually use fresh garlic and onions in whatever I'm making with my taco seasoning, so there is no garlic or onion powder in this mix. If you won't be using fresh, you'll probably want to add some powdered.
Total Recipe cost: $0.34
Prep time: 5 min. Total: 5 min.
| INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 1 Tbsp | chili powder | $0.15 |
| 1 tsp | smoked paprika | $0.05 |
| 1 tsp | cumin | $0.05 |
| 1/4 tsp | cayenne pepper | $0.02 |
| 1/2 tsp | oregano | $0.03 |
| 1/2 tsp | salt | $0.02 |
| 1/2 tsp (15 cranks) | fresh black pepper | $0.05 |
| 1/2 tsp | corn starch (optional) | $0.02 |
| TOTAL | $0.34 | |
STEP 1: Combine everything in a small bowl and stir until evenly mixed. Corn starch is optional but it will help thicken any sauce or absorb excess moisture in whatever you add the taco seasoning to (commercial taco seasoning packets contain corn starch).
Step By Step Photos

Combine the chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne, oregano, freshly cracked black pepper, and salt in a bowl. I would say this mix is "medium" spicy. Adjust the cayenne to make it more or less spicy.

Stir until evenly mixed.

Add corn starch to help thicken whatever you're adding the taco seasoning to. It also helps prevent sogginess from moisture that may seep out of vegetables or other ingredients.

Store the taco seasoning in an air-tight container in a cool dark place until ready to use.

25 Comments:
At February 19, 2012 at 4:38 PM ,
Camille @ Growing Up Gabel said...
Most homemade taco seasonings have WAY too much cumin for me. I like just a hint to get the smoky flavor. So 1 tsp of cumin... count me in! Can't wait to give it a try!
At February 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM ,
Unknown said...
I really like adding the corn starch as it gives a more "cohesive" element. :)
At February 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM ,
Kristi Sroka said...
I've been making a similar recipe for years. Try adding garlic and onion powder.
At February 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Thank you for this recipe, it was so good and so much better than the packets! I didn't have any paprika, so I just threw in an extra teaspoon of chili powder. I used it in your quesadilla recipe and it was awesome.
At March 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM ,
Anonymous said...
How much do you use though..? Last time I made this, I blew my mouth out but I did add the whole mix with 1 cup of water..
At March 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM ,
Beth M said...
I just use one batch like I would one envelope of taco seasoning from the store. Although, most people are responding that it was a bit much, so maybe half a batch is good enough for most!
At April 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I'm so glad you experimented and figured this out...I always have these ingredients in bulk (well...haven't found bulk smoked paprika but I always have a little bottle of that) but when I try to do my own taco seasoning it ends up tasting like my chili seasoning. Can't wait to try it.
Ashley
At May 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Brilliant! I love this! Worked like a treat. Now for a fajita mix, please.
At May 31, 2012 at 2:47 PM ,
Jacki said...
I LOVE your blog! Thank you for all the fabulous money saving recipes you post!
At June 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM ,
Anonymous said...
yay! thank you!
At June 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM ,
Lynn said...
I like adding a bit of baking cocoa powder to my mix, it adds a really nice depth of flavor.
At September 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Thank you for sharing this. Used this to make chicken tacos today.
At September 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Mom: Uh oh. It's taco night and I don't have seasoning...
Me: Budget bytes has a taco seasoning recipe!
So good.
At September 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM ,
Beth said...
I bought a cheese shaker to keep my taco seasoning in and just shake what I want into the recipe. You can add as little or as much as you want to suit your tastes. I have doubled this recipe for my jar so I am not making it all the time.
At September 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM ,
Anonymous said...
how much is it
At October 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM ,
Melissa Lemmons said...
I made a 9x batch and it fits perfectly in an empty garlic powder container.
At November 1, 2012 at 5:12 PM ,
Dee said...
Finally a recipe that doesn't have garlic powder and onion powder. I like to use the real stuff.
At December 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM ,
Anonymous said...
For fresh mix, use masa harina as the thickener. Adds a little corn taste. =)
Thanks for the ideas to keep the mix in an old cleaned out spice jar.
At December 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM ,
Anonymous said...
How much Onion Powder and Garlic Powder would you recommend using?
At December 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM ,
Beth M said...
I'd start with about 1/4 teaspoon of each garlic and onion powder. That should be good!
At January 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM ,
Anonymous said...
How much water should I add per pound of beef? And would this amount be right for just 1 lb ?
At January 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anonymous - One batch of this would be enough for one pound of beef. Some have even said that they've used less and it was still good! :)
At February 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Out of corn starch, so I subbed about an equal amount of cocoa powder. Yum! (If making a bigger batch, would use 1/2 cornstarch & 1/2 cocoa... To get the cocoa flavor and cornstarch properties).
At February 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM ,
Amanda Wrege said...
I knew you'd have this on your blog. So glad I checked here first ;) It's a taco soup night!
At March 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM ,
Unknown said...
I started using this recipe about two months ago and my husband and I love it! We also like to use it as a dry-rub for chicken. I add garlic powder and onion powder to the mixture and sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of the mix onto each side of the chicken. If you have time to let the coated chicken sit for a couple of hours before you cook it it's even better. Then I pan fry the chicken with a little bit of oil until it's cooked through.
Thanks so much for this recipe!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home