lemon blueberry scones $2.16 recipe / $0.27
It is time, once again, for me to give in to my cravings... I've been craving something cakey, something flakey, something sweet but not too sweet... I've been craving a scone!
After doing my recipe research, I decided to use the basic bones of this recipe but I changed it to be lemon blueberry flavor and to have icing on top instead of sprinkled sugar (I like sprinkled sugar on scones a lot but I had a whole lemon full of juice that couldn't be wasted).
Scones are great because they are super easy (pretty much like the basic biscuits) and they can be made into just about any flavor that you'd like. Add dried fruit and nuts, fresh fruit, spices, WHATEVER! Plus, they're made of pantry staples which means you probably have all of the ingredients on hand to make them RIGHT NOW!


Total Recipe cost: $2.16
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Cost per serving: $0.27
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 15 min. Total: 30 min.
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and the zest from the lemon (use a zester or the smallest grate on a cheese grater). Mix them well to make sure there are no clumps and everything is combined evenly.
STEP 2: In a smaller bowl, combine the milk and eggs. Whisk well.
STEP 3: Cut the butter into chunks and put it into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using your hands, "smoosh" the butter into the flour over and over until there are no more clumps and it is completely combined with the flour. It should look like coarse sand (see photos below). You can use special kitchen tools for this but I find that my hands are just as quick and effective.
STEP 4: Stir the blueberries into the wet ingredients then pour all of that into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir it all together until everything has combined (thorough mixing is not necessary). The dough will be very wet and sticky, don't worry.
STEP 5: Liberally flour your countertop to keep the wet dough from sticking. Dump the ball of wet dough onto the floured surface and pat it down into a circle about 8 inches wide and one inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into eight pieces (see photos below).
STEP 6: Place the "wedges" on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil (for easy clean up). Bake in the 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
STEP 7: While the scones are baking, make the lemon icing. Place one cup of powdered sugar in a small bowl and juice the lemon into it, taking care not to let any seeds fall in. Start with half of the lemon then stir the icing. It will not look like enough moisture until you have it all stirred up (the sugar sort of melts into it). If it is still too thick/stiff, juice the other half of the lemon. You want the icing thick but still loose enough to drizzle over the scones.
STEP 8: When the scones are golden brown on top, remove them from the oven and let cool. Be sure to let the scones cool before adding the icing or else it will melt and slide right off!.
Enjoy your scone with a hot cup of coffee or tea!

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and lemon zest). Stir it up well.

In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients (milk, eggs). Whisk well.

Cut the butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture. Smoosh it into the flour until there are no more butter chunks remaining.

It should look kinda "sandy" like this when it's all mixed in.

Add the blueberries to the wet ingredients. I used frozen which tend to give off more juice and therefore more color... which means my scones were kinda purple.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir it just until it is all mixed together. The dough will be very wet and sticky.

Dump the dough out onto a VERY WELL floured surface and pat it down into a circle (8 inch diameter, one inch thick).

Cut the circle into 8 wedges.

Place the wedges on your baking sheet (I like to use parchment paper) and bake for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees.

They will be all golden brown and beautiful when they are finished. They poof up quite a bit during the baking process.

Either while the scones are baking or while they are cooling, prepare the icing. Juice the lemon into one cup of powdered sugar and stir to combine (start with just half of the lemon and see if you need more juice).

Make sure to place something under the scones when you ice them... I use the parchment that they baked on. Double duty!
After doing my recipe research, I decided to use the basic bones of this recipe but I changed it to be lemon blueberry flavor and to have icing on top instead of sprinkled sugar (I like sprinkled sugar on scones a lot but I had a whole lemon full of juice that couldn't be wasted).
Scones are great because they are super easy (pretty much like the basic biscuits) and they can be made into just about any flavor that you'd like. Add dried fruit and nuts, fresh fruit, spices, WHATEVER! Plus, they're made of pantry staples which means you probably have all of the ingredients on hand to make them RIGHT NOW!

Total Recipe cost: $2.16
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Cost per serving: $0.27
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 15 min. Total: 30 min.
| INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 2 cups | all-purpose flour | $0.17 |
| 2 Tbsp | granulated sugar | $0.02 |
| 2 tsp | baking powder | $0.04 |
| 1/2 tsp | salt | $0.05 |
| 5 Tbsp | butter | $0.44 |
| 3 Tbsp | milk | $0.08 |
| 2 lg | eggs | $0.24 |
| 1 med | lemon | $0.50 |
| 1 cup | powdered sugar | $0.18 |
| 1/2 cup | blueberries (frozen or fresh) | $0.44 |
| TOTAL | $2.16 | |
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and the zest from the lemon (use a zester or the smallest grate on a cheese grater). Mix them well to make sure there are no clumps and everything is combined evenly.
STEP 2: In a smaller bowl, combine the milk and eggs. Whisk well.
STEP 3: Cut the butter into chunks and put it into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using your hands, "smoosh" the butter into the flour over and over until there are no more clumps and it is completely combined with the flour. It should look like coarse sand (see photos below). You can use special kitchen tools for this but I find that my hands are just as quick and effective.
STEP 4: Stir the blueberries into the wet ingredients then pour all of that into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir it all together until everything has combined (thorough mixing is not necessary). The dough will be very wet and sticky, don't worry.
STEP 5: Liberally flour your countertop to keep the wet dough from sticking. Dump the ball of wet dough onto the floured surface and pat it down into a circle about 8 inches wide and one inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into eight pieces (see photos below).
STEP 6: Place the "wedges" on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil (for easy clean up). Bake in the 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
STEP 7: While the scones are baking, make the lemon icing. Place one cup of powdered sugar in a small bowl and juice the lemon into it, taking care not to let any seeds fall in. Start with half of the lemon then stir the icing. It will not look like enough moisture until you have it all stirred up (the sugar sort of melts into it). If it is still too thick/stiff, juice the other half of the lemon. You want the icing thick but still loose enough to drizzle over the scones.
STEP 8: When the scones are golden brown on top, remove them from the oven and let cool. Be sure to let the scones cool before adding the icing or else it will melt and slide right off!.
Enjoy your scone with a hot cup of coffee or tea!
Step By Step Photos

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and lemon zest). Stir it up well.

In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients (milk, eggs). Whisk well.

Cut the butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture. Smoosh it into the flour until there are no more butter chunks remaining.

It should look kinda "sandy" like this when it's all mixed in.

Add the blueberries to the wet ingredients. I used frozen which tend to give off more juice and therefore more color... which means my scones were kinda purple.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir it just until it is all mixed together. The dough will be very wet and sticky.

Dump the dough out onto a VERY WELL floured surface and pat it down into a circle (8 inch diameter, one inch thick).

Cut the circle into 8 wedges.

Place the wedges on your baking sheet (I like to use parchment paper) and bake for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees.

They will be all golden brown and beautiful when they are finished. They poof up quite a bit during the baking process.

Either while the scones are baking or while they are cooling, prepare the icing. Juice the lemon into one cup of powdered sugar and stir to combine (start with just half of the lemon and see if you need more juice).

Make sure to place something under the scones when you ice them... I use the parchment that they baked on. Double duty!
What is your favorite scone flavor?
Labels: bread, breakfast, dessert, easy, fruit, quick, vegetarian

33 Comments:
At August 9, 2010 at 1:52 PM ,
Leslie said...
I have a request for you. I don't think it will be expensive... I was wondering...would you try your hand at making croissants? I want to, but I am not sure i can do it.
At August 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM ,
Beth M said...
excellent idea! let me look into some recipes :)
At August 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM ,
Beth M said...
Wow... croissants look very laborious! I might not have the time to jump into that until my vacation in December. In the mean time, I found a great step by step tutorial here:
http://traceysculinaryadventures.blogspot.com/2010/01/homemade-croissants-step-by-step.html
Hope that helps!
At August 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Could you make these with gluten free flour?
At August 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM ,
Beth M said...
I've never worked with gluten free flour but my guess would be yes, you can. This type of bread making does not require kneading (or "developing the gluten") so I'm guessing that the gluten is not vital to the recipe. Give it a try and let us know how it works out!
At August 10, 2010 at 5:00 PM ,
Jennifer said...
my favorite flavors are peanut butter banana and cheddar dill! cant rule out lemon blueberry either.
At August 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM ,
Jake said...
I can't wait to try this one.
You do the absolute best recipe blogs I have ever seen. Keep up the good work. Very inspiring!
At August 13, 2010 at 7:52 AM ,
Ciao Chow Linda said...
I have a bunch of blueberries that need to go into this recipe. Wonderful scones.
At August 13, 2010 at 10:38 AM ,
Jake said...
Question:
Do you use Salted or Unsalted butter for this?
TY
At August 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM ,
Michael T said...
Gotta agree with Jake, Budget Bytes is by far my favorite recipe blog.
@Jake, I'm going to assume unsalted butter, since she adds salt to it in the dry ingredients
At August 14, 2010 at 9:48 AM ,
Beth M said...
Oops, I forgot to respond about the butter... I checked and it was actually salted. I usually just use whatever I have in my fridge and adjust the salt accordingly. So, if you use unsalted for this recipe, add a pinch more salt to the mix :)
At August 29, 2010 at 2:38 PM ,
Brett said...
I couldn't wait for grocery shopping to try making these, so I had to substitute lemon juice for the zest. They still came out delicious. Thanks!
At September 17, 2010 at 11:34 AM ,
Walking by faith said...
These were a little dry when I made them. Did I do something incorrectly? Otherwise, they were fabulous and super quick to make.
At October 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM ,
Unknown said...
This looks so good! I'm going to try it soon! I posted a blog today with a $11 southern vegetable plate--that made 4 servings on my blog The-Daily-Diva.blogspot.com. Thank goodness for all the smart ladies out there sharing budget recipes!
At December 10, 2010 at 11:49 PM ,
Anonymous said...
These look AMAZING!
At April 12, 2011 at 8:43 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Thank you for this amazing recipe! Simple and delicious. My son really likes the texture and the great fruit taste!
I baked another batch with fresh blackberries (in sold for 99 cents...) and an orange zest and juice. Excellent!
At August 22, 2011 at 2:22 PM ,
Josh said...
Thanks. I am a novice maker of food. I tried these and they came out well, without the over-sweet flavour they have at some coffee shops. I didn't make the frosting. Mine came out with a slightly rubbery texture. It's not that major, but there is something rubbery rather than crumbly to the units. Do you know what that might be?
At August 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM ,
Beth M said...
Josh- overworking the dough can make it a bit rubbery so try to just mix it until everything gets wet. It's okay if there are a few crumbs. Also, when working with the butter, make sure it's cold and doesn't melt as you're working it into the flour. I hope that helps!
At September 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM ,
Erica B said...
Since I've been wanting to make these but wasn't sure when I could fit them in, I sought out some frozen blueberries. I was shocked that frozen blueberries were more than twice as expensive as the frozen berry medley (with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries), so I bought that. When I opened the bag I discovered that there were more than enough blueberries for the recipe, and I also found a use for the raspberries and blackberries: I mashed them up and combined them with the lemon/confection sugar icing to make a kind of berry chutney. It was awesome!
At September 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM ,
Josh said...
Thanks for the reply on the rubberiness, Beth. I am going to try these again tomorrow following your advice. I like cheddar & chives scones. Do you think swapping out the berries for cheese would be enough, or would the recipe need to be changed more than that? What quantities of cheese + chives would you recommend for the amount of scones above? Sorry if this question is too far off base :)
At September 8, 2011 at 5:19 AM ,
Beth M said...
Josh - You'll probably need to decrease the sugar as well. Try taking the sugar down to 1/2 Tbsp and then I would add a 1/2 cup cheese and maybe a 1/4 cup of chives. ...Although I've never tried it. :P If in doubt, do a google search for similar recipes. I know I've seen a lot of cheddar scone recipes out there over the years so it may be worth it to follow a recipe that someone has already tried. Epicurious.com and Foodnetwork.com both have a huge bank of very reliable recipes. Mmm, now I want some cheddar scones!!
At September 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM ,
Josh said...
Wait, you're saying there are some other websites about food? Screw that! Anyway, I made the cheddar scones following your recommendation and they turned out perfect. I made them this morning actually, and now it's 11:10pm and all I have eaten all day are five cheddar scones! yum yum yum. Well, one of them I kinda ate in dough form. I also followed your advice on the rubbery texture and it was almost entirely gone this time.
At September 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM ,
Beth M said...
Ha! You're hilarious, Josh! Glad they turned out good!
At September 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM ,
the Lady Gooner said...
Hey Beth, I love your blog! Mine turned out pretty well for a first attempt, but I had a few questions. My scones didn't really rise as much as yours did, and the outside was REALLY crusty while the inside wasn't quiiiiiite done at 15 minutes. I'm assuming that I just need to turn my oven down a bit on the temperature? Also, my dough seemed just a bit wetter than yours, which made it pretty hard to cut up. Should I just add a bit more flour if that happens next time?
At September 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM ,
Beth M said...
Hey Lady, You've got the right idea! I would definitely lower the oven temp a bit (maybe 25) and cook a little longer. And yes, add just a little more flour... how much is hard to say without having seen your dough. If it's just a little tacky, you can try just adding a little to the countertop and your hands when you're pressing it out. If it's super wet, I'd add a quarter cup more to the original flour/butter mix. Play around with it and I'm sure you'll have perfect scones in no time!
At June 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I'm baking these for the second time in two weeks! It's blueberry season in North Carolina, and these scones were such a hit that I ran out to the blueberry farm to pick more. Thank you for providing such a wonderful array of new recipes for me to try- I've never felt comfortable around the kitchen until this blog!
At January 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM ,
Anita said...
I made these for breakfast this morning and they turned out fantastic! The best part is I had everything on hand in my kitchen. I will never buy overpriced coffee shop scones again! Love your blog and looking forward to trying out more of your recipes. :)
At February 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM ,
Anonymous said...
What other things could I put in this recipe that would go with the lemon icing?
I love lemon but I hate blueberries with a passion.
At February 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anon - Both strawberries and raspberries also go great with lemon, but the raspberries would probably bake better into the scones because they're not as wet. Or, you could do a straight lemon scone (and maybe add a smidge more sugar to the dough). :)
At March 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM ,
Unknown said...
???can you use wheat flour or oat flour???
At March 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM ,
Beth M said...
KImberly - You could use whole wheat, although it will make a fairly dense and heavy scone. I've never baked with oat flour, so I'm not sure about that one.
At April 28, 2013 at 1:28 AM ,
Rachel said...
Have made scones like these, but without the icing, and with just lemon zest (no blueberries as I don't often have them on hand, esp. out of season) and they are delicious. I heat up any leftovers next day and have them with butter and raspberry jam. And yes, up the sugar content a bit. I have also used cream in mine instead of milk.
At May 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM ,
Stephanie said...
I just baked those scones and my son and I enjoyed one each while doing the homeworks ;-) Happy moment! They are delicious ;-) Thanks! Steph
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home