Budget Bytes

16 October 2012

apple pie baked oatmeal

$4.76 recipe / $0.60 serving
Seriously, who needs those autumn themed Glade plug-ins when you've got apple pie oatmeal baking in the oven? NO ONE.

So this, the latest installment in my baked oatmeal series, is an absolute winner. It is a little more involved than the other versions, but still very worth the effort to have this ready waiting for you every morning. Apples are still strangely expensive here, but many of you are being flooded with the fall bounty of fresh apples, so I did this for you. It's a gift to you. Okay, it's a gift to me too because I get to eat it every morning.

I've made a couple of small tweaks to the basic baked oatmeal recipe, which I think make a much better texture. It's not quite as dense and cooks more evenly overall. Basically, it's baked at a higher temperature, no foil for the first half, and there is more baking powder. It makes a noticeable difference.

So, put on a wool sweater, a cozy scarf, and dive straight into the fall season with this Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal. You won't be sorry!

Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal

Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal

Print Friendly and PDF

Total Recipe cost: $4.76
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Cost per serving: $0.60
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 45 min. Total: 1 hr.

APPLE BOTTOM INGREDIENTS COST
2 medium apples $1.81
1 Tbsp lemon juice $0.06
2 Tbsp brown sugar $0.04
1 Tbsp corn starch $0.06
1/2 tsp cinnamon $0.03
1/8 tsp ground cloves $0.02
OATMEAL INGREDIENTS COST
2 large eggs $0.50
1.5 cups unsweetened applesauce $0.93
1 tsp vanilla extract $0.28
1 tsp salt $0.05
1 tsp baking powder $0.04
1 tsp cinnamon $0.05
1/4 cup brown sugar $0.08
1.5 cups milk $0.38
2.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats $0.43
TOTAL $4.76

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the apples into cubes. Place them in a bowl along with the lemon juice, corn starch, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp ground cloves. Toss to coat. Place the seasoned apples in the bottom of an 8x8 inch casserole dish that has been coated with non-stick spray.

STEP 2: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, apple sauce, vanilla, salt, baking powder, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Add the milk and whisk again. Finally, stir in the dry oats. Pour this mixture over the chopped apples in the casserole dish.

STEP 3: Bake the oatmeal for 45 minutes at 375 degrees or until the top is light golden brown and no longer wet in the center. Cut into eight pieces and serve or refrigerate until ready to eat.

Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal



Step By Step Photos


apples
Start with a couple of apples. Semi-tart apples work best for this recipe. You don't want to use something super sweet like a red delicious otherwise the flavor may end up kind of flat. You need that sweet/tart balance. I think I used Gala apples.

season apples
Chop the apples up into chunks, leaving the skins on. The skins add color, flavor, and texture. Place the apple chunks in a bowl and add the corn starch, lemon juice, 2 Tbsp of brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp cloves. Toss to coat.

seasoned apples
Place the coated apples in the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish that has been coated in non-stick spray. The cornstarch will combine with the juice from the apples as they bake and create that nice, gooey, apple pie filling.

oatmeal filling
Now for the apple flavored oats... whisk together the eggs, apple sauce, vanilla, salt, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Whisk until smooth.

add milk
Once the other ingredients are well mixed, whisk in the milk. It's just easier to whisk the other ingredients together before the milk because the milk can get sloshy.

add oats
Once the milk is whisked in, stir in the dry oats. You'll probably want to use a spoon rather than a whisk for this part because oats like to get stuck in the whisk.

pour oat mixture
Pour the oat mixture over top of the chopped apples in the casserole dish. Bake in a PRE-HEATED 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes.

baked apple pie oatmeal
And when it's done it will be beautifully golden brown on top and the center will no longer feel wet to the touch. You can see that some of that gooey apple pie filling bubbled up through the top. YUM.

Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal
And here's a closer look at the inside. It's soft, warm, and delicious!

Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal
I like it with a little cold milk on top!

Labels: , , ,

35 Comments:

  • At October 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM , Anonymous Lindsay said...

    No joke, I was seriously googling apple baked oatmeal earlier today. I ALWAYS use your baked oatmeal recipes (because they rock my face) and I knew I had to make an apple version. I see that you replaced the yogurt for applesauce, do you think that the yogurt would still work here?

     
  • At October 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Lindsay - Yogurt will still work, but you'll definitely have less apple flavor. Maybe try half of one and half of the other!

     
  • At October 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

    Apples are stupid expensive because of the poor harvest this year. I've made one cake because I can't bring myself to buy them more. The baked oatmeal sounds really good though! I'm always looking for new ideas!

     
  • At October 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

    Do you think steel cut oats would work well with this? Any recommendation on how to use steel cut instead of quick?
    And seriously, yum.

     
  • At October 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Jamie - Making alterations to fit steel cut oats would probably take quite a bit of experimentation. Steel cut oats require twice as much moisture and a good bit more cooking time than rolled oats... so, unfortunately, I don't have a quick solution for you :( I think some people have tried the other baked oatmeals with steel cut oats, but I don't know what alterations they made or how they turned out.

     
  • At October 17, 2012 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Teresa said...

    I'm eating this right now. yum! I used almond milk, and it turned out great. Next time I may make it a bit sweeter and add some nutmeg. Thanks for another great recipe.

     
  • At October 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM , Blogger The Powers That Be said...

    Looks amazing! This is probably a dumb question, but... I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old who would love the taste of this but but hate the texture of the apple chunks. Would they still work as a base if they were more finely chopped in the food processor first? Thanks! ~ A North Louisiana fan

     
  • At October 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Powers - Yep, I'm sure that would work just fine :)

     
  • At October 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM , Blogger tamwash said...

    I tried crockpot oatmeal this weekend because I'm looking for new, fall weather breakfast ideas (it turned out terrible.) I will definitely try this recipe this weekend because it looks so good (will half it.)

     
  • At October 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    awesome. smells great on a dreary october day, baking away. And its good for two weeks of my daughters breakfasts... or at least on the days she doesnt havecereal. thank you.

     
  • At October 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I made this earlier today and the smell was fan freakin tastic! It tasted very good too. I can't wait for your cookbook!

     
  • At October 17, 2012 at 8:13 PM , Anonymous ep said...

    i've been eating your blueberry baked oatmeal every day for the last 2 months. one recipe made on a sunday lasts me all week (which is key, since grad school + baby = not a whole lot of extra time in the mornings!) i made an apple version a few weeks, but adding cornstarch for a pie like filling is an awesome idea! will definitely be trying this for next week. . .

     
  • At October 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    This just looks delightful! My family will be getting a treat this weekend! How would you make this for the slow cooker?

     
  • At October 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM , Anonymous custom stickers said...

    I took ready made apple pie from a shop and felt it good taste. Its very easy to make and delicious a lot with great smell and a lot of beauty.

     
  • At October 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous Adrienne Lawrence Mendonca said...

    Beth, do you know if a non-dairy "milk" works well in these? Milk and I have had a falling out, so I drink almond milk now. I usually drink vanilla almond, but I suspect it would be too sweet. Maybe plain?

     
  • At October 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM , Anonymous Lulu said...

    I was very excited the find this new recipe because someone just gave me a whole basket of apples Monday and I found a place by my job that sells oatmeal in bulk for 1.49lb. So I made some last night and I was blown away by how good my house smelled! I didn't have any cloves, but I added half a teaspoon of nutmeg since I had that handy. It was so good that I had two pieces, yum!

    Oh, and I had a falling out with moo milk too and use vanilla almond for the recipes. I don't think it really adds that much sugar, most of the sweetness I noticed came from the apples.

     
  • At October 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM , Anonymous tijuana smith @ po' man meals said...

    this sounds ridiculously good! love all of your oatmeal recipes!

     
  • At October 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM , Anonymous Ash said...

    Adrienne, I've used soy milk in several of Beth's fantastic baked oatmeal recipes and they turned out fine. Just cut the milk back by 1/4 cup or so since it's thinner than cow's milk. Or if you forget like I did a couple of times, bake it for 10-15 minutes longer until the center is cooked.

    I love the idea of the apple pie bottom and oatmeal top, can't wait tot ry this!

     
  • At October 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM , Blogger Quest said...

    Yum! I'm going to make this over the weekend.

     
  • At October 21, 2012 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Adrienne - Many people have reported using soy and almond milk with great results :D

     
  • At October 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Kulio said...

    Can you mix this up the night before and bake it the next morning with good results? Also - you say you baked it half the time with foil on top and half without?

     
  • At October 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Kulio - I've never tried refrigerating it over night, but I'm sure it would work just fine. The baking with the foil thing is what I used to do with the baked oatmeals, but I don't bother with it anymore. It works better without! :)

     
  • At October 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous Leslie said...

    This was so good! Definately the best of the three baked oatmeal recipes I've tried, with blueberry banana in second. I added raisins.

     
  • At October 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Nutella Nutterson said...

    I made a pan of this, and my daughter is thrilled to get "apple pie" for breakfast!

    I added a bit of allspice, cardamom, and nutmeg - I'm a warm spice nut! We've had it with milk and maple syrup, and with ice cream.

     
  • At October 24, 2012 at 7:16 AM , Anonymous stephanie w. said...

    Have you tried freezing individual portions of this and defrosting in the morning for quick breakfasts? I wonder how it holds up.

     
  • At October 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM , Anonymous Denae said...

    Do you recommend making the change to the baking powder in your old recipes as well or just removing the foil?

     
  • At October 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Denae - Some of the baked oatmeals that use yogurt are fine with baking soda/powder combo, but I think the rest are probably better with just baking powder.

     
  • At October 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM , Blogger Renee said...

    Is there something I can replace the eggs with? I have a boy who can't eat eggs.

     
  • At October 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Renee - I think some people have used a flaxseed + water mixture, but I've never tried it myself, so I can't vouch for the results. I don't know the quantities either, but I'm sure a quick google search for "flax egg replacement" will tell you how much to use in place of one egg.

     
  • At November 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM , Blogger stephanie b said...

    This oatmeal is one of the most delicious things I've ever put in my mouth. Thank you, Beth!

     
  • At November 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just made this--so good! I'm actually going to take it to a breakfast potluck in a few weeks. I replaced 1/2 cup of the oatmeal with ground flaxseed. Turned our perfectly! Thank you!!

     
  • At December 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I used apple pie filling, mashed it up a bit, added some Splenda and it was super good!

     
  • At February 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This was great! I used vanilla soy yogurt (which I hate and was looking to get rid of) instead of the applesauce and vanilla soy milk in place of the dairy milk and it turned out lovely! I would add even more apples on the bottom next time and the applesauce the recipe recommends. :)

     
  • At March 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Susan M said...

    Stephanie W - I've frozen other baked oatmeals and it's just fine. Or they last in the fridge for a while

     
  • At April 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I realized ten minutes after I stuck this in the oven that I forgot the brown sugar in the top oatmeal portion. I sprinkled the 1/4 cup of brown sugar over top of the oats and stuck them back in the oven - hopefully it still comes out delicious!

     

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home