caesar roasted cabbage $3.80 recipe / $0.63 serving
I don't know about you, but I can never seem to use up a whole head of cabbage. Even if I buy the smallest cabbage that I can find (as I did for the chicken yakisoba), it seems to multiply in volume by about ten when I cut it up!
Well, I saw this recipe over at Kalyn's Kitchen a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked insanely delicious (the amazing photos helped, I'm sure). As I've said many times, roasting vegetables takes them from delicious to spectacular. The edges get all crispy and caramelized and the flavor in general just gets more sweet and intense. Or, in other words, they get "yumified."
I also noticed that I had about five bottles of left over salad dressing in my fridge (all the same type, how does that happen?) so I decided to use some of it up. I simply brushed the dressing on the cabbage wedges, threw it in the oven, and in about 30-40 minutes, I had some of the best cabbage I've ever had. I swear, the oven is some sort of magical box that transforms bad things into good.

Total Recipe cost: $3.80
Servings Per Recipe: 6-8 (depending on the size of your cabbage and how many wedges you cut)
Cost per serving: $0.63 (for six servings)
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 35 min. Total time: 45 min.
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove any wilted leaves from the outside of the cabbage. Rinse under cool water and shake as much excess water from the cabbage as possible.
STEP 2: Cut the cabbage into wedges, leaving the stem/core intact (this will hold the wedges together during roasting). Place the wedges on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Brush the dressing onto all sides of the cabbage wedges, even the bottom.
STEP 3: Let the cabbage roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the wedges and your desired doneness. About half way through (15-20 minutes in), remove the cabbage and carefully turn wedges over to allow them to roast on the other side (tongs work best). The cabbage should be tender and brown and crispy on the outer edges.


I had half of a small head of cabbage left over. I cut it into six wedges. Larger cabbage can probably be cut into 8 wedges per side (16 wedges total, 2 wedges per serving). Try to include some of the core in each wedge so that it holds together during roasting.

This is the dressing that I used. NOTE: this is NOT a creamy caesar dressing, it's more like a vinaigrette.

Brush the dressing onto all sides of each wedge. Let it get all down into the cracks and crevices between the leaves.

Roast the cabbage in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping the wedges half way through. I had planned on cooking mine for 40 minutes, so I flipped them at 20 minutes, which is when this photo was taken.

I found that the cabbage only needed about 10 more minutes. The time the cabbage needs to roast will depend on the size of the wedges. It should be fairly tender and have browned, crispy edges. That super dark/burned stuff is not the cabbage itself, but the dressing that seeped out onto the foil. The cabbage was not burned.
Sure wish I had gotten some gorgeous photos like Kalyn's!
Well, I saw this recipe over at Kalyn's Kitchen a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked insanely delicious (the amazing photos helped, I'm sure). As I've said many times, roasting vegetables takes them from delicious to spectacular. The edges get all crispy and caramelized and the flavor in general just gets more sweet and intense. Or, in other words, they get "yumified."
I also noticed that I had about five bottles of left over salad dressing in my fridge (all the same type, how does that happen?) so I decided to use some of it up. I simply brushed the dressing on the cabbage wedges, threw it in the oven, and in about 30-40 minutes, I had some of the best cabbage I've ever had. I swear, the oven is some sort of magical box that transforms bad things into good.

Total Recipe cost: $3.80
Servings Per Recipe: 6-8 (depending on the size of your cabbage and how many wedges you cut)
Cost per serving: $0.63 (for six servings)
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 35 min. Total time: 45 min.
| INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 1 head | green cabbage | $0.81 |
| 8 oz. | caesar dressing (not creamy) | $2.99 |
| TOTAL | $3.81 | |
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove any wilted leaves from the outside of the cabbage. Rinse under cool water and shake as much excess water from the cabbage as possible.
STEP 2: Cut the cabbage into wedges, leaving the stem/core intact (this will hold the wedges together during roasting). Place the wedges on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Brush the dressing onto all sides of the cabbage wedges, even the bottom.
STEP 3: Let the cabbage roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the wedges and your desired doneness. About half way through (15-20 minutes in), remove the cabbage and carefully turn wedges over to allow them to roast on the other side (tongs work best). The cabbage should be tender and brown and crispy on the outer edges.

Step By Step Photos

I had half of a small head of cabbage left over. I cut it into six wedges. Larger cabbage can probably be cut into 8 wedges per side (16 wedges total, 2 wedges per serving). Try to include some of the core in each wedge so that it holds together during roasting.

This is the dressing that I used. NOTE: this is NOT a creamy caesar dressing, it's more like a vinaigrette.

Brush the dressing onto all sides of each wedge. Let it get all down into the cracks and crevices between the leaves.

Roast the cabbage in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping the wedges half way through. I had planned on cooking mine for 40 minutes, so I flipped them at 20 minutes, which is when this photo was taken.

I found that the cabbage only needed about 10 more minutes. The time the cabbage needs to roast will depend on the size of the wedges. It should be fairly tender and have browned, crispy edges. That super dark/burned stuff is not the cabbage itself, but the dressing that seeped out onto the foil. The cabbage was not burned.
Sure wish I had gotten some gorgeous photos like Kalyn's!
Labels: easy, sidedish, vegetables, vegetarian


19 Comments:
At March 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM ,
Kalyn Denny said...
What a great idea! I am saving this for the Phase One round-up. And thanks for the nice comments about my photos.
At March 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM ,
Krista said...
this looks tasty :)
At March 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM ,
YqW14 said...
I usually make coleslaw with my leftover cabbage, but it gets boring sometimes. This is such a good alternative. I think I will not be afraid of buying cabbage ever again.
At March 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM ,
Amber @ The Cook's Sister said...
This looks great! I bet this method would also be very tasty if made with napa!
At March 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Mmm! I love cabbage and have been looking for a new interesting way too prepare it!
At March 23, 2012 at 2:53 AM ,
Glüxkind said...
Wow, what a great idea! Will try it this weekend. I'm off to the supermarkte... :-) XO *Gluexkind*
At March 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM ,
Miss Magnolia said...
I never have a problem using the entire head. Actually, I made this recipe on Sunday and ate the entire head by myself because it was soooo good. I used plain olive oil instead of dressing. The crispy bits along the edges were my favorite part!
At March 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM ,
brookeO said...
I have a similar problem. But for me, it seems, I have a bunch left over, but then it isn't enough for what I want to make with it...so I buy more and the cycle begins again!
At March 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM ,
Kimberlee Stiens said...
I have usually not had a problem with using all the cabbage, because I make cabbage rolls! But then, I make crappy ones, so maybe I should take the big outer leaves off for rolls, and then use the inner wedges for this. Sounds awesome!
At March 24, 2012 at 1:15 AM ,
Allison said...
Planning on serving this with some baked salmon next week! Would there be a major difference if I were to use a creamy Caesar dressing?
At March 24, 2012 at 6:31 AM ,
Beth M said...
Allison - I'm just not sure how the roasting would effect the creamy dressing. The vinaigrette is basically just like brushing the cabbage with oil, which is what you do when roasting anyway. A creamy dressing has other ingredients that may break down or taste bad when roasting. I just can't say for sure!
At March 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM ,
Ashe @ Ash in Fashion said...
So if the goal is vinegarette, I assume using an Italian dressing in our fridge would work? (We have a St. Pat's cabbage head to use up like, oh now!)
At March 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM ,
Beth M said...
Yep, I'm sure Italian would be delicious too!
At March 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM ,
Anonymous said...
You've been nominated for the Kreativ Blogger award by us! Check it out here and keep up the good work!
http://thebigwiggs.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/kreativ-blogger-award/
At March 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM ,
Jennifer said...
Hi Beth! Was stopping by to tell you that I tried this recipe the other night. My husband is a very picky eater. He enjoyed this recipe and when asked if he would eat it again, he said yes! Hoping to try the chicken thighs and fries in the future.
At March 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM ,
Lindsey said...
What a clever idea, I honestly never thought of roasting lettuce! I will be sure to try this out.
www.forloveofexploration.com
At July 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM ,
Gary and Mallory said...
Made this today but used fat free ranch. Really yummy but different. Thanks for sharing!
At February 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM ,
Anonymous said...
be careful with the dressing on this one if you're a strict vegetarian - many, MANY caesar dressings contain anchovy.
At February 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I actually made this last night with a creamy caesar dressing, as I apparently didn't read your note about using a non-creamy caesar. But it still turned out great! I was worried that it would burn like crazy, but no, roasted up like a champ. Next time I may cut the cabbage into smaller pieces, as my favorite part was the crispy edges. :-) It also reheated alright today, microwaved first to heat through, then crisped up under the broiler. Thanks for another winner!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home