Budget Bytes

27 July 2011

yellow jasmine rice

$1.54 recipe / $0.26 serving
Okay, this is a pretty big statement to make, but... This is the best rice I've ever had.

Yep. The flavor was simply out of this world. The aroma as it cooked almost gave me a high. Plain white rice is dead to me now.

If you follow the blog you're probably familiar with how much I love jasmine rice. I don't know how I lived my whole life without knowing about it, but since discovering it a year or two ago, I just can't stop. It's incredible. If you haven't tried jasmine rice yet, get to the store NOW and buy some.

Jasmine rice is naturally fragrant and has the most wonderfully rich, mellow, and almost nutty flavor. You can find it at most major supermarkets either in the Asian section or in the rice section (usually on the bottom shelf). It can be pricy if you buy one of those small specialty brand containers but if you buy the actual Asian brand (in large bags, bottom shelf), its just as inexpensive as regular rice. Also check bulk bins. Some stores will have jasmine rice (white AND brown) in bulk.

Anyway, I decided to kick up the jasmine rice by adding a few spices and something magical happened. The turmeric and cumin added to the rich, nutty flavor of the jasmine rice and the little pinch of cinnamon added just a hint of spicy sweetness... like hitting the cymbals on a drum kit. The first bite was so good, I swear I saw angels.

Okay, if you haven't been weirded out by my rice-love manifesto, here's the recipe:

yellow jasmine rice

Print Friendly and PDF
Total Recipe cost: $1.54 Servings Per Recipe: 6
Cost per serving: $0.26
Prep time: 5 min. Cook time: 45 min Total: 50 min.

INGREDIENTS COST
2 cups uncooked jasmine rice $0.88
3 cups chicken broth $0.27
1 tsp turmeric $0.05
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic $0.10
1/4 tsp ground cumin $0.02
1/8 tsp cinnamon $0.02
1 whole bay leaf $0.05
2 Tbsp butter $0.15
TOTAL $1.54

STEP 1: Heat the butter, turmeric, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the butter has melted.

STEP 2: Add the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes to slightly toast the rice and spices. You may hear a slight popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.

STEP 3: Add 3 cups of chicken broth and one bay leaf to the pot. Place a lid on top, increase the heat to high, and bring the pot to a rolling boil. As soon as it reaches a full boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let it simmer (with the lid in place) for 20 minutes.

STEP 4: After letting it simmer for 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it rest (do not remove the lid) for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

Step By Step Photos


spices
This is the magical mixture that brought the jasmine rice from delicious to heavenly. Butter, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, and a bay leaf.

melt butter w/spices
Melt the butter in a pot along with the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and garlic.

toast rice and spices
Add the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook the mixture for about 2 minutes. This will toast the rice and spices giving them a deeper, nuttier flavor. You should hear a popping or crackling noise as the rice toasts.

broth
Add 3 cups of chicken broth... or in this case, 3 tsp (1 Tbsp) of chicken base plus 3 cups of water. I like Better Than Bouillon because it's less expensive than buying cans/boxes of broth and way better quality than the little cubes.

bay leaf
Add the bay leaf as well. Give everything a good stir, place a lid on top, and increase the heat to high. Bring it up to a full boil then immediately turn the heat down to low. Let simmer for 20 minutes.

steamed rice
After 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit undisturbed (do not remove the lid) for another 10 minutes. When I finally opened it up, the bay leaf was right on top, pretty as a picture!

fluff with fork
Fluff with a fork and serve!

yellow jasmine rice

Labels: , , ,

52 Comments:

  • At July 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM , Blogger Caitlin said...

    I make this all the time except I cheat and just use pre-mixed yellow curry powder, some paprika, and a smidge of cayenne in addition to the chicken bouillon. It's really good with some chopped up carrot and broccoli and some onion or scallions (but also works with whatever veggies you've got around... those just taste the best with the spices). A great pairing for this is pork chop and some roasted spicy curry sweet potatoes.

     
  • At July 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Felicity said...

    Scrummy!
    I'm thinking that this will be our evening meal tonight - thank you!

    xx Felicity

     
  • At July 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay for RICE! I can't wait to try it :)

     
  • At July 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Anonymous Teresa said...

    I LOVE Jasmine rice too!! I could eat it endlessly :))

    I will have to try this!

     
  • At July 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM , Blogger caroline said...

    This looks delicious! Love it! I was reading your recipe, and I asked myself, "where can you get chicken broth for 27 cents?" And... then you showed me! LOL. I actually have Better than Boullion, so that is perfect! Thanks!

     
  • At July 27, 2011 at 8:39 PM , Anonymous Meister @ The Nervous Cook said...

    You know, I just don't use tumeric enough! This is a great inspiration -- I love cooking rice and quinoa with the spices right in the water, and often make green rice with pureed cilantro and garlic. But yellow rice is a new one on me, and I've definitely got to try it.

     
  • At July 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm addicted to just plain jasmine rice!! Definitely going to try this twist...SOON!!

     
  • At July 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM , Anonymous Kelly said...

    I was thinking the same thing as Caroline when I was reading the cost breakdown. Thank you for enlightening me to the cheaper side of chicken broth :)

     
  • At July 27, 2011 at 11:38 PM , Anonymous Sohail said...

    Just wondering, my mom always tells me, you HAVE to wash the rice before preparing it!

    You think it's really that important to wash the rice as you skipped that step to toast the rice?

    thanks in advance, AWESOME BLOG!

     
  • At July 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM , Blogger buxzii said...

    you remove a lot of starch when you wash rice so I would personally never do it.

     
  • At July 28, 2011 at 6:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love it - it's like a cheat sheet for the seasoning packet that comes in the rice mix box. But homemade is always better! The cinnamon sounds fantastic.... I've also heard that cinnamon helps keep your blood sugar low when you eat carbs?

    sounds delicious.
    genevievvve.wordpress.com

     
  • At July 28, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Blogger MsBrownBird said...

    That looks delicious, and so much better than buying one of those flavor packets or box mixes... I'd love to see you do a series of those, actually, if you're ever in need of more ideas! =)

     
  • At July 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Sashquatch said...

    I am 100% trying this, it looks divine and I trust your review whole-heartedly! It looks like a fabulous dish in its own right, but with a curry...id be one happy chappy. Will let you know when i get round to trying it! :)

     
  • At July 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Anonymous Carolyn Jung said...

    I had a feeling that lovely color was from tumeric. It's like nature's own food coloring. Beautiful looking rice!

     
  • At July 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Almostnakedape said...

    Could you replace the chicken stock with vegetable bouillon, eg http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/body-soul/swiss-vegetable-boullion.asp, as I'd like to make this to go along side a vegetable curry I will be cooking for veggie friends

     
  • At July 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Almonstnakedape - yep, it would be every bit as good with vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth!

     
  • At July 29, 2011 at 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I a cajun girl and love rice of any type, eat it with everything you can imagine. Even things that don't make sense sometimes (well to my husband, anyway). This looks and sounds delicious, I'm gonna try this for sure.

     
  • At July 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM , Anonymous Lacey said...

    I can't wait to try this. I found your site last night and this is on the menu for tonight. There is an awesome local farm in my neck of the woods that grows Jasmine rice. The spices will be a perfect compliment to it.

     
  • At July 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM , Blogger Diane said...

    I love your blog. I am always bookmarking and printing. Trying to find time to try almost EVERYTHING. Keep it up!

     
  • At July 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I tried this tonight and it was yummy! It made my house smell like a great Indian restaurant. Next time, I am planning to add raisins, almond slivers, and some peas to give it some oomph! Thanks for the recipe, can't beat the price!

     
  • At July 31, 2011 at 2:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Awesome looking rice, and I love that it uses turmeric, not only for the color, but because turmeric is so healthy in so many ways. The cumin with cinnamon sounds intriguing. I'll use homemade broth instead of the base, only because I haven't figured out which broth/bouillon additive hates my gut (literally - I've figured out carrageenan, annatto, and nitrate/nitrite, but there's at least one more additive/dye that 'attacks my gut'), hence my learning to cook everything for myself with sites like yours - THANKS!!

     
  • At August 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Peggasus said...

    I made this last night for dinner (with chicken satays and a spicy peanut dip), and it really is delicious! All the men in my house loved it, too. I think next time the only thing I'd add would be a diced onion for a little bit of crunch. Thanks! (The kitchen still smells so fragrant this morning, too.)

     
  • At August 5, 2011 at 8:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just made this rice tonight along with your naan recipe and a chicken curry recipe I already had... With your tasties thrown in the meal was amazing! Thank you so much, Beth!!

     
  • At August 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM , Anonymous Jennifer said...

    You are right - this is the best rice ever! I have been making big batches of it and taking it to work for my "Lunch Of The Week." I usually heat it up a little then add halved grape tomatoes and avocado. It is so good!

     
  • At August 22, 2011 at 8:02 PM , Blogger rohina said...

    I did this in my rice cooker and it was brilliant. Had it with turmeric chicken, so it was Turmeric Party.

     
  • At August 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Blogger selah said...

    Made this tonight with the dal nirvana. I wussed out and just used store-bought naan (so expensive!), but it was all so amazing. Next time, I'll try your naan recipe. Thanks for posting!

     
  • At September 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM , Anonymous Lacey said...

    I commented on this before, but I just wanted to let you know that I subsituting olive oil for the butter and cooked this for my two-year-old nephew who is allergic to gluten, soy, dairy, oats, peanuts, tomatoes, and more. His parents are always looking for new, flavorful, recipes that he can eat. I added some chicken and vegetables to make it a meal, and he ate two bowls of it. Everyone loved it. Thanks again for this brilliant recipe.

     
  • At October 1, 2011 at 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is definitely the best rice I've ever had! Thank you so much for posting these amazing recipes! I've made this on the stove and in the rice cooker and both ways work fantastically. I'm going to have to buy a bigger container of Turmeric :)

     
  • At October 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Do you think this would work with other grains? I've been on a quinoa kick lately and I was wondering if you think this recipe would work subbing out the rice for quinoa.

     
  • At October 26, 2011 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    I think it's worth a shot to try it with quinoa! I've only cooked quinoa once or twice so I'm not that familiar with it, but I think it will work.

     
  • At November 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM , Anonymous Cass said...

    Made this last night with the dal nirvana for work lunches and was a big success! Adapted it to use in the rice cooker so I didn't have to worry about it and it worked perfectly, just like you get from an Indian restaurant. Who knew rice could be so delicious?!

     
  • At January 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM , Anonymous Leeanne said...

    Just made this last night with brown jasmine rice. So good! It did need an extra five minutes though, probably because of the brown rice.

     
  • At January 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Donna said...

    Just made this and I have to agree - this is the best!!! Thank you - perfect for the day after Chinese New Year's!!

     
  • At February 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This recipe should be under Asian not indian because basmati rice is usually used with Indian cuisine. Jasmine is primarily used in Asian cuisine

     
  • At February 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM , Anonymous anrs4you@msn.com said...

    Dear Beth, I absolutely love, love your site!! I have never "followed" anyone before, UNTIL I found you! It's brillant. I haven't made anything yet but believe me I am now. There is so much information, I feel like a kid in a candy shop!! Also, thanks so much for breaking down the cost of everything. I think most of all want a great savings. Keep the recipes coming!

     
  • At March 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM , Anonymous Vicky said...

    I'm going to take your word for it that this is the best rice ever and will definitely make this soon!

     
  • At March 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So I've been making this recipe for about six months with regular rice (I bought a giant sack and had to use it all up), and I was finally able to try it with jasmine rice. Wow! If you can, try it with jasmine rice. It's really good with regular rice but spectacular with jasmine rice.

     
  • At May 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    this. looks. delicious.

     
  • At May 20, 2012 at 7:23 AM , Blogger Kateyboo said...

    This came out brilliant when I made it :)

     
  • At May 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I make this all the time and it comes out great. Try frying up some of the white part of the scallion with the garlic. I've also used saffron to add a very exotic flavour. using currents adds some sweetness as well.

     
  • At July 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I eat this two two three times a week (literally).

     
  • At December 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Briana said...

    could you make this in the slow cooker?

     
  • At December 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Briana - I've never tried to make rice in a slow cooker, so I'm really not sure. Interesting idea, though!

     
  • At January 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM , Blogger SoRefined said...

    Oh *man* is this good. I used goat butter instead of cow butter. If you like fragrant rice, I suggest trying goat butter--it REALLY adds something special even to otherwise plain rice and is not overwhelmingly goaty.

     
  • At January 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Tyler said...

    I almost wish this had a longer cooking time, just because my apartment smelled SO GOOD while it was cooking.

    I love your website, it has changed the way I both buy, and cook food. Thanks so much!

     
  • At March 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ty Ms. M for your great Recipes & Tips. If its ok I re-posted your jasmine rice here:
    http://newzaholic.com/2013/03/07/recipe-yellow-jasmine-rice/

     
  • At March 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Rachelle said...

    I make this with 2.5 cups chicken broth and 0.5 cup half-and-half, then drizzle it with honey. It makes an amazing breakfast!

     
  • At April 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So I tried this recipe with brown jasmine rice and I did my best to follow your insturctions, but the rice ended up very chewy and seemed like it might not be done. When i make rice it is usually the five minute rice, so im not used to using real rice. Should I have used 4 cups of broth to cook the rice and cooked it for longer?

     
  • At April 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Anonymous - Yes, try four cups of broth, rather than three, and you'll want to let it simmer for closer to 30 minutes (with an extra 15 minutes of resting with the lid on once the heat is turned off). I hope that works better for you!

     
  • At April 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks:) im going to try a couple things to try to make the rice I made work for me hahah.

     
  • At April 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Jon Cole said...

    To the person who asked if vegetable broth would be as good as chicken broth, I'd personally recommend a variant of Better than Bullion - Vegan "No Chicken" Base. It approximates the taste of chicken quite well in stock and I regularly use it in recipes where I cut down meat in recipes.

     
  • At April 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    One should never read things this delicious at 2 am. I am so hungry now, and this looks exquisite. I'm definitely making this tomorrow. You always have such wonderful recipes.

     

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home