Budget Bytes

30 April 2010

cilantro lime rice

$2.08 recipe / $0.35 serving
I made this Cilantro Lime Rice as a side dish for the Shrimp Tacos that I made last weekend (my apologies for taking so long to post it). This rice is very simple and makes a great, filling side dish to any Mexican or Tex-mex meal. It's so delicious that I'm tempted to just put some in a bowl, melt some cheddar cheese over top and have at it... oooh, and maybe add a few black beans in there. Okay, now it's turning into a whole other recipe! As you can see, it can also be a versatile base to many other dishes. Try it in casseroles or as a super flavorful filling for burritos! Plus, it's just pretty and green.

Cilantro Lime Rice

Print Friendly and PDF
Total Recipe cost: $2.08
Servings Per Recipe: 6 (a little over 3/4 cup each)
Cost per serving: $0.35
Prep time: 5 min. Cook time: 40 min. Total: 45 min.

INGREDIENTS COST
2 cups uncooked long grain rice $0.60
3 tsp chicken soup base or bouillon $0.29
3 cups water $0.00
1 bunch fresh cilantro $0.66
1 medium lime $0.48
1 Tbsp olive oil $0.05
TOTAL $2.08


STEP 1: Place 2 cups of uncooked rice, 3 cups of water and 3 tsp of chicken base into a medium pot. Stir to dissolve the chicken base. With a lid in place, bring the mixture up to a boil over high heat. As soon as it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes or until all of the water has absorbed.

STEP 2: While the rice is cooking, prepare the cilantro lime mix. In a food processor or blender combine the juice and zest of one lime with one Tbsp of olive oil and the leaves from one bunch of cilantro (rinse the cilantro first). Blend/process until it is pureed or in very small pieces (see photo below).

STEP 3: When the rice is finished cooking, remove the lid and pour on the cilantro lime mixture. Fluff and stir the rice gently to combine. If you stir too much or too vigorously the rice will become sticky and gooey so take your time.

Cilantro Lime Rice

Step By Step Photos

Chicken Base
I bought this chicken base when I ran out of bouillon cubes. It seems more versatile and has better flavor than the cubes. Only one teaspoon is needed per cup of water. I used half brown rice and half white rice to try to work some extra fiber into my diet. You may need to cook a little longer if you use brown rice.

Cilantro Lime Mix
While the rice is cooking, puree the juice and zest of one lime with one Tbsp of olive oil and one bunch of cilantro (remove the leaves from the stems).

cilantro lime rice
When the rice is completely finished cooking, use a fork to gently combine the pureed cilantro lime mixture with the cooked rice.

Cilantro Lime Rice

You can jazz this rice up even more by adding some fresh jalapeno or garlic into the food processor! Cooking the rice in the chicken base provides a lot of flavor (and salt so no need to add more) and I wanted to make sure my shrimp tacos remained the star of this meal so I kept it simple this time!

Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

  • At April 30, 2010 at 3:38 PM , Anonymous Matt said...

    Of course, this recipe could be even less expensive if you grew your own cilantro. I love the cilantro-lime combo. I'll have to try your version soon, because it looks too good not to.

     
  • At April 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM , Anonymous Dallas dwi Lawyer said...

    Excellent idea. This dish has a lot of flavor. It seems simple and tasty. Thanks for the how-to.

     
  • At April 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thanks again BB-Beth, the rice is nearly done. Subscribed with Google Reader and loving every post.

     
  • At May 1, 2010 at 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How long will this stay good in the fridge? I was also thinking a variation could be to substitute quinoa for the rice!

     
  • At May 1, 2010 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    This will stay good in the fridge about 5-7 days. This recipe is pretty easy to cut in half too, if you can't use up 5 cups worth within a week.

     
  • At May 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This reminds me of the rice at Chipotle! Love it!

     
  • At September 19, 2010 at 2:47 AM , Blogger Restaurant Spy said...

    Omg how good would this be used in your Taco Soup to add depth and heartiness.... Definitely on my "to cook" list!!

     
  • At October 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM , Blogger xtalcase said...

    What a great post. I love the pictures with the recipe. Without pictures I always feel like I must be doing it wrong.

     
  • At May 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just found your site and I LOVE how most your recipes use food that we have growing in our garden...making the meals cost even less! I also appreciate the photos. I need to see the food for some reason to know if it is going to be YUM or not. THANKS!

     
  • At January 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My cooking is mediocre, so your detailed instructions and pictures is greatly appreciated. I am going to try this today. I love cilantro and lime. Thanks for the recipe. I got from pinterest.com

     
  • At June 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Sam said...

    If we don't have a food processor, do you think we could still do this?

     
  • At June 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Beth M said...

    purpleysawks - Yes, this would still work great if you minced up the cilantro and then just mixed it with the zest and oil by hand :)

     
  • At June 18, 2012 at 5:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I live in a place where limes are nearly impossible to come by... I have some bottled lime juice and fresh lemons. Think I could make this a lemon-lime-cilantro creation?

     
  • At June 18, 2012 at 7:33 AM , Blogger Beth M said...

    You could, although the flavor won't be as strong because you don't have the lime zest.

     
  • At June 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wait wait so youre supposed to throw the entire lime into the processor ? Or is there something im supposed to do to it

     
  • At June 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Anon - remove the zest from the lime by using a zester or a fine cheese grater to scrape off just the green part of the skin (try not to get any of the white part). Then cut it open and squeeze the juice out. That's what I meant by "zest and juice of one lime." Sorry it was so vague!

     
  • At June 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    damn i have some regular left over rice but was only cooked with water not the broth would it still taste ok? :/

     
  • At June 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    I think it would still taste pretty good :) You might want to add some salt too.

     
  • At July 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM , Blogger Sandy M said...

    Tried this recipe yesterday and it's as easy as can be. But I'm not sure why it didn't totally work. I didn't have any limes, we squeeze lemons and limes and keep the juice refrigerated, so I didn't have any zest. Could the absence of that make that big a difference in taste? We didn't get much lime nor cilantro initially. However, the longer it sat, it seemed to be better. I could taste the cilantro even through the pulled pork I mixed it with later in the evening. I'm thinking next time I'll cut the rice amount in half but keep the other measurements as is. We love this type of rice, so will keep at it!

     
  • At July 23, 2012 at 6:03 AM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Sandy - yes, the zest makes a HUGE difference :P In fact, almost all of the lime flavor comes from the zest, the juice just adds some tartness. Try it next time with the zest and you'll be blown away! :D

     
  • At July 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Sandy M said...

    Thanks, Beth. Will definitely use the zest next time. I'm still enjoying the rice today with your pulled pork - made a rice bowl, so to speak, out of it. Very tasty!

     
  • At August 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm way new to cooking if it involves more that about 3 ingredients...when it says line juice and zest, what does that actually mean?

     
  • At August 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Beth M said...

    Anon - The zest of the lime is the very top layer of the skin that is dark green. It gives a lot of "lime" flavor, whereas the juice provides tartness. To get the zest without any of the white stuff underneath (which can be bitter), use a very fine cheese grater or a tool made especially for "zesting" to gently scrape off the top green layer. I do that first and then cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice out.

    There is a good picture of me zesting a lemon in this post. I hope that helps!

     
  • At November 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I don't have a zester so I cut of the skin with the knife and threw it in the blender. It would have been better if I had left it out and just used the juice. I lost the O-ring for the blender ...should probably double check that. Besides that it's a super good recipe.

     
  • At April 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM , Anonymous Sarah B said...

    I added some parsley in with the cilantro and it turned into a chimichurri rice. Very tasty!

     

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home