chunky beef stew $10.38 recipe / $1.73 serving
As I was sitting at work last night all hungry and tired, I read an email from Ashlee, a reader who had recently had some out of this world beef stew. She was writing to ask if I had a recipe, which I didn't, but her description of the beef stew that she had tasted made my mouth water, so I knew I had to make some ASAP.
This beef stew knocked my socks off. Okay, so maybe I was really hungry and really in the mood for red meat, but it is still undeniably good. Not to mention, it was seriously easy to make.
I'm a firm believer that any time beef and tomatoes come together, red wine should join the party, but I made this stew sans red wine just to make sure that it would still be delicious for those who didn't want to use wine. I have to say, it was surprisingly good even without the wine, but if you want to use wine, just sub one cup of the beef broth with whatever red wine you have on hand.
My pot made about 8 cups, which could be anywhere from 6-8 servings. In the south we put anything with any sort of gravy over rice, so I suggest stretching this beef stew even further by serving it over some inexpensive rice. You'll get 8 big servings that way.
Total Recipe cost: $10.38
Servings Per Recipe: 6 (1 1/3 cup each)
Cost per serving: $1.73
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 1 hr. Total: 1 hr. 15 min.
*I use concentrated beef broth (bouillon) + water to make broth, which is less expensive than canned broths.
STEP 1: Cut the beef into smaller, bite-sized chunks. Add the beef and flour to a small bowl and toss the beef in the flour until it is well coated.
STEP 2: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When it is hot, add about half of the beef chunks and cook until golden brown. Once browned, remove the beef, add the second batch, and cook until browned again. Try not to stir the beef as it is browning, that will make it take longer. Adding all of the beef at once will over crowd the pot and cause moisture to build up, which will also prevent browning. The beef does not have to be fully cooked at this point, just browned on the outside.
STEP 3: While the beef is browning, chop the onion into wedges and mince the garlic. After the beef has browned, add the onion and garlic to the pot, and saute it for 2-3 minutes. If the browned bits on the bottom of the pot become very dark or look like they will burn, move on to the next step immediately. The onions do not need to be fully cooked.
STEP 4: Add the tomato paste and beef broth to the pot. Stir the pot until all of the browned bits have dissolved off of the bottom. Return the browned beef to the pot and also add the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and a generous dose of freshly cracked pepper. Stir to combine.
STEP 5: Place a lid on the pot and allow it to come up to a simmer. Once it reaches a simmer, turn the heat down to low and let it continue to simmer for 30 minutes. If it stops bubbling (simmering) at any point, turn the heat up just slightly.
STEP 6: While the pot is simmering, peel and slice the carrots. Wash the potatoes well and cut them into 3/4 inch cubes. Once the pot has simmered for 30 minutes, add the carrots, potatoes, and peas. Cover the pot again and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Step 7: Stir the worcestershire sauce into the stew. Taste the stew and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Roughly chop a handful of parsley and sprinkle it over top. Serve hot.
Most grocery stores sell beef "stew meat." It's already cut into chunks, but those chunks are HUGE, so I cut each one into about three smaller pieces. My package was 1.3 pounds. Anything between one and 1.5 pounds would be fine.
Toss the beef chunks with flour until they're coated. The flour not only helps thicken the stew, but it helps the browning/caramelization of the beef, which creates a nice deep flavor.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add about half of the beef and let it brown. Stirring the beef will keep it from browning, so just stir once when the bottom sides get brown. The beef does not have to be completely cooked or completely browned on all sides. Just let it get fairly browned. Remove the browned pieces from the pot and then brown the second half. Remove the second batch of beef once it's browned.
While the beef is browning, cut the onions and mince the garlic. I wanted my stew to be chunky, so I cut the onions into wedges rather than dicing it. Cook the onions and garlic in the pot for a few minutes. If it begins to look like the browned bits are going to burn (like mine, see how dark it is?) move on to the next step right away.
Add the beef broth and tomato paste to the pot. Stir the liquid well to dissolve the browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. I used 3 oz. of tomato paste, which is half of one of those small cans, or roughly 1/4 cup. You can freeze the remaining tomato paste for use in another recipe (I just pop it in a ziplock bag).
Once the browned bits have dissolved into the liquid, add the beef back into the pot, along with the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and a good bit of freshly cracked pepper.

Stir it all together and make sure the beef is under the liquid. Place a lid on the pot and let it come up to a simmer. Let the pot simmer for 30 minutes.

While it's simmering, prepare the rest of the vegetables. I like to cut the carrots on a bias because it makes them pretty. You can peel the potatoes if you'd like, but I leave my peel on and just wash them well. Cut the potatoes into a small cube so that they'll actually fit on a spoon.

Once the pot has simmered for 30 minutes it will have also thickened. Stir in the vegetables, put the lid back on top, and let it simmer for another 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the worcestershire sauce and adjust the salt and pepper if needed.

Sprinkle some chopped parsley over top if desired. Enjoy!
This beef stew knocked my socks off. Okay, so maybe I was really hungry and really in the mood for red meat, but it is still undeniably good. Not to mention, it was seriously easy to make.
I'm a firm believer that any time beef and tomatoes come together, red wine should join the party, but I made this stew sans red wine just to make sure that it would still be delicious for those who didn't want to use wine. I have to say, it was surprisingly good even without the wine, but if you want to use wine, just sub one cup of the beef broth with whatever red wine you have on hand.
My pot made about 8 cups, which could be anywhere from 6-8 servings. In the south we put anything with any sort of gravy over rice, so I suggest stretching this beef stew even further by serving it over some inexpensive rice. You'll get 8 big servings that way.
Chunky Beef Stew
Total Recipe cost: $10.38
Servings Per Recipe: 6 (1 1/3 cup each)
Cost per serving: $1.73
Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 1 hr. Total: 1 hr. 15 min.
| INGREDIENTS | COST | |
| 1 to 1.5 lbs. | boneless stew meat | $6.19 |
| 1/4 cup | all-purpose flour | $0.03 |
| 2 Tbsp | olive oil | $0.32 |
| 1 medium | onion | $0.36 |
| 4 cloves | garlic | $0.32 |
| 3 oz. | tomato paste | $0.27 |
| 3 cups | beef broth* | $0.45 |
| 1 whole | bay leaf | $0.15 |
| 3/4 tsp | dried thyme | $0.04 |
| 3/4 tsp | dried rosemary | $0.04 |
| to taste | freshly cracked pepper | $0.05 |
| 1/2 lb. (about 3) | carrots | $0.55 |
| 1 lb. | potatoes | $0.90 |
| 1 cup | frozen peas | $0.45 |
| 1 Tbsp | worcestershire sauce | $0.05 |
| 1/4 bunch | parsley (optional) | $0.21 |
| TOTAL | $10.38 | |
STEP 1: Cut the beef into smaller, bite-sized chunks. Add the beef and flour to a small bowl and toss the beef in the flour until it is well coated.
STEP 2: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When it is hot, add about half of the beef chunks and cook until golden brown. Once browned, remove the beef, add the second batch, and cook until browned again. Try not to stir the beef as it is browning, that will make it take longer. Adding all of the beef at once will over crowd the pot and cause moisture to build up, which will also prevent browning. The beef does not have to be fully cooked at this point, just browned on the outside.
STEP 3: While the beef is browning, chop the onion into wedges and mince the garlic. After the beef has browned, add the onion and garlic to the pot, and saute it for 2-3 minutes. If the browned bits on the bottom of the pot become very dark or look like they will burn, move on to the next step immediately. The onions do not need to be fully cooked.
STEP 4: Add the tomato paste and beef broth to the pot. Stir the pot until all of the browned bits have dissolved off of the bottom. Return the browned beef to the pot and also add the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and a generous dose of freshly cracked pepper. Stir to combine.
STEP 5: Place a lid on the pot and allow it to come up to a simmer. Once it reaches a simmer, turn the heat down to low and let it continue to simmer for 30 minutes. If it stops bubbling (simmering) at any point, turn the heat up just slightly.
STEP 6: While the pot is simmering, peel and slice the carrots. Wash the potatoes well and cut them into 3/4 inch cubes. Once the pot has simmered for 30 minutes, add the carrots, potatoes, and peas. Cover the pot again and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Step 7: Stir the worcestershire sauce into the stew. Taste the stew and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Roughly chop a handful of parsley and sprinkle it over top. Serve hot.
Step By Step Photos
Most grocery stores sell beef "stew meat." It's already cut into chunks, but those chunks are HUGE, so I cut each one into about three smaller pieces. My package was 1.3 pounds. Anything between one and 1.5 pounds would be fine.
Toss the beef chunks with flour until they're coated. The flour not only helps thicken the stew, but it helps the browning/caramelization of the beef, which creates a nice deep flavor.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add about half of the beef and let it brown. Stirring the beef will keep it from browning, so just stir once when the bottom sides get brown. The beef does not have to be completely cooked or completely browned on all sides. Just let it get fairly browned. Remove the browned pieces from the pot and then brown the second half. Remove the second batch of beef once it's browned.
While the beef is browning, cut the onions and mince the garlic. I wanted my stew to be chunky, so I cut the onions into wedges rather than dicing it. Cook the onions and garlic in the pot for a few minutes. If it begins to look like the browned bits are going to burn (like mine, see how dark it is?) move on to the next step right away.
Add the beef broth and tomato paste to the pot. Stir the liquid well to dissolve the browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. I used 3 oz. of tomato paste, which is half of one of those small cans, or roughly 1/4 cup. You can freeze the remaining tomato paste for use in another recipe (I just pop it in a ziplock bag).
Once the browned bits have dissolved into the liquid, add the beef back into the pot, along with the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and a good bit of freshly cracked pepper.

Stir it all together and make sure the beef is under the liquid. Place a lid on the pot and let it come up to a simmer. Let the pot simmer for 30 minutes.

While it's simmering, prepare the rest of the vegetables. I like to cut the carrots on a bias because it makes them pretty. You can peel the potatoes if you'd like, but I leave my peel on and just wash them well. Cut the potatoes into a small cube so that they'll actually fit on a spoon.

Once the pot has simmered for 30 minutes it will have also thickened. Stir in the vegetables, put the lid back on top, and let it simmer for another 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the worcestershire sauce and adjust the salt and pepper if needed.

Sprinkle some chopped parsley over top if desired. Enjoy!
Labels: beef, intermediate, main dish, one-dish meals, potato, soup

36 Comments:
At January 28, 2013 at 3:49 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Might be cheaper but more time consuming to get a chuck roast and cut it into stewing cubes.
At January 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM ,
AshleeQueen said...
Beth, this is perfect!! I can't wait to make this. I'll hit the grocery store on my way home from work tomorrow. Thank you!!
At January 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM ,
tijuana (po man meals) said...
this looks delicious! i wish i was in new orleans with you right now. it is 25 degrees here in virginia! :(
At January 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM ,
erinmarie said...
I second the chuck roast comment--if time allows, you can usually save a few bucks by buying it on sale and cutting it yourself! This looks delicious. I LOVE beef stew, especially in the winter...though it's weirdly warm here for January, but I might have to make some now anyway.
At January 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM ,
Jamy said...
Looks delicious! I hope we have a few more weeks of super cold weather so I can make it!
At January 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM ,
Neba Nebet said...
Thirding the chuck roast comment.
Also, that is a brilliant way to get the flour into the mix so it forms a gravy (by putting it on the meat, I mean.) :)
At January 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM ,
obat kista said...
blogwalking gan
At January 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM ,
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain said...
Oh this looks DELICIOUS!! I'm in for a long winter up here in NJ and this would go wonderfully in my new dutch oven :)
At January 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM ,
Crystal said...
Looks good! Never thought of eating it with rice. In Canada, we eat it with warmed, buttered buns or bread. :)
At January 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM ,
Shannon said...
this looks like it would be great over mashed potatoes :)
At January 29, 2013 at 3:23 AM ,
purrlgurrl said...
Not a long enough cooking time if the stew meat is chuck or bottom round rather than, say, sirloin. I normally use these less expensive cuts for stew, simmering the meat 3 hours then adding the vegetables and cooking 30-45 minutes more. It takes a longer time to break down these tougher cuts. Test the meat before you add the vegetables. It could need more cooking time if you used a more inexpensive cut of beef.
At January 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM ,
Anonymous said...
This looks so good. I can't wait to try it!
At January 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Looks awesome! Going to sub out the beef for chunky portabello mushrooms for the non-meat eaters in my household. Should be wonderful with all of the flavors you have going!
At January 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM ,
Unknown said...
Thank to post, i love you.
Chào các bạn, hôm nay mình xin giới thiệu website truyen sex mới nhất với những cuốn truyen sex luôn được cập nhật thường xuyên hàng ngày, truyen sex hay cũng như truyen dam sẽ mang lại cho các bạn những phút dây thư giãn thoải mái sau những bộn bề lo toan.... anh sex
Mong các bạn ủng hộ và truy cập thường xuyên.
anh sex
At January 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM ,
Unknown said...
I'm acquainted with the problem of cooking among students. Thus I'd loke to recommen this article for those who're in search of time-efficient recepies:
Recipes & Ideas for On-Campus Cooking
At February 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Hey Beth,
i only know Tomato Paste as something that has the label "triple concentrated" in europe. Is this identical to the thing they sell over there or that you used for this dish, respectively (and since i wasnt sure with this sentence - is this the correct usage of the word respectively? ;P)?
At February 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM ,
Beth M said...
Anonymous - It sounds like the triple concentrated tomato would be the same thing as tomato paste. I haven't tried the triple concentrated, but it sounds the same :)
At February 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM ,
AshleeQueen said...
How would I alter this if I wanted to throw it in the crockpot to be ready when I got home from, say, church or work?
At February 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM ,
janmaus said...
One trick I use when sautéing veggies after browning meat, is to add a little bit of water and scrape up the flavor bits before they burn. I'm not adding enough wster to stew the onions, garlic, etc., just a tablespoon or so to keep the pan from burning--it usually evaporates almost immediately, and there is enough residual fat in the pan for the veggies to sauté as usual. I may need to repeat this a time or two before adding the main cooking liquid.
At February 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM ,
Sanu said...
I'd been looking for an easy beef stew recipe for ages and this one was amazing! I only got 5 (1 cup)servings out of this though- maybe I cooked it too long? I just add a teeny bit of hot water when reheating to loosen it up a bit. Another winner from Budget Bytes!
At February 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM ,
Beth M said...
Sanu - The volume difference could also be due to variations in the vegetables :)
At February 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM ,
Anonymous said...
AMAZING FLAVOR. I used fresh rosemary which was great. My only issue was the cooking time for the potatoes and carrots, mine took much longer than 15-20? Would there be a problem adding it in with the original 30 minute simmer?
At February 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM ,
Beth M said...
Anon - You can definitely add the vegetables earlier... the only reason I didn't was so that they didn't over cook ;)
At February 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM ,
neo said...
Love bee stew. I'm going to have to give this a try. Now I'm hungry!
At February 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM ,
Avi Opticus said...
Had to cook the veggies an extra half hour, luckily the beef didn't get overcooked and it still turned out well. But 15-20 minutes of low is not going to cook potatoes.
At February 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM ,
Beth M said...
Even though the heat is on low, you want to make sure it's still simmering. Luckily, for beef stew, the longer you cook the beef in the liquid the better and more tender it gets. So, you can cook the vegetables and beef as long as you need to. :) Mine were tender after 20 minutes.
At February 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM ,
Ms. Britt said...
Beth, this was great (just like everything else on the blog). I left my potatoes and carrots in the whole time and they came out with the perfect not too firm, not to mushy texture. Can't wait to buy your book!
At February 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I also had to cook my potatoes longer, but it turned out great! Super easy. I love your soup recipes!
At February 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM ,
Anonymous said...
What an awesome recipe! It looked great and smelled great and the broth tasted good. I'm on a pureed diet after lower jaw surgery. So I pureed it...and it looks like baby food. Still tastes OK! But I'm looking forward to trying it when I'm allowed to eat solids again. Thanks for another delicious recipe.
At February 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I had to simmer the meat for about 2 hours (as opposed to 30 min to get it tender) before adding the veggies and had to double the amount of broth in this to cook said veggies. End result was good.
At March 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM ,
Anonymous said...
I agree with other comments that say the cooking time isn't long enough. My beef and carrots both needed more time, even after upping the post-veggie step to a full 30 minutes. (Potatoes were fine after only 20 min., but they were a 1 cm dice.) I think a 1.5 hour cook time is more reasonable.
At March 19, 2013 at 5:01 AM ,
AshleeQueen said...
Beth,
I'm making this for a friend who has to avoid potatoes for medical reasons. I'll be substituting rutabagas (unpeeled) for the potatoes, as many people have tried and recommended that for a stew recipe. I imagine they'll take longer to cook and soften than regular potatoes...
My question is this: in a non-stick pot, is it possible to simmer everything for "too long," or could I leave it on low (or possibly do the whole thing in the crock pot) during a work day?
At March 19, 2013 at 5:07 AM ,
AshleeQueen said...
Ugh, RADISHES, not rutabaga!!
At March 19, 2013 at 7:00 AM ,
Beth M said...
Ashlee - Wait, you're going to add radishes? Rutabaga would be much better. Try rutabagas and turnips. Yes, this stew is fine to simmer on low for a long time and you could definitely add it to the slow cooker (after browning the meat and dissolving the browned bits) and just let it go on low all day. The longer it cooks the more tender the meat gets!
At March 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM ,
Unknown said...
1.5 lbs of meat for 6-8 servings? Not sure that is realistic. You'll also need a longer cooking time for a tough cut like stew meat.
At March 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM ,
Beth M said...
Priscilla - The purpose of stews like this (and most of my recipes) is to stretch a small amount of meat out across multiple servings. It is less than most Americans are used to, but with all of the extra veggies it works for me. :)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home